03

As the scarlet liquid ran down her throat, the taste as fowl as she expected, Harley pressed her back against the wall and shut her eyes, removing herself from the world around her. The bottle was cold against her hand. This time she didn't bother getting a glass. She took a couple of mouthfuls and put the bottle back into the pantry.  With a sigh, she dragged her body like a dead weight into the bathroom and made herself throw up what she had just drunk.

Hatred for herself washed over her and drowned her 5'10" self. She padded back up the stairs into the nursery where Niall slept soundly. She sat down on the floor next to his cot, her hands shakily clutching the bars, "Why?" She whispered so that Bill did not hear as he slept also.

Her head was a minefield. She didn't know whether it was from the alcohol or just herself in general but everything was a hazy mess. She yearned to not be like her parents but she had already failed herself and everyone around her. She already turned to the one thing that lost her any chance of parents. The one things that lost her childhood. Alcohol.

Bill awoke the next morning and found the bed beside him cold. He stumbled out of the room and towards the nursery where he found Harley fast asleep on the floor with Niall awake in his cot staring at his mother in confusion.

"Morning, Nialler," he cooed, "let me put mummy to bed and then I'll go get you some breakfast, eh?"

Niall smiled as Bill scooped Harley up into his arms, he thought he could smell the slight stench of vomit but assumed it must have been something to do with Niall as he carried Harley back to their bedroom. He gently tucked her into the bed and kissed her forehead. It wasn't the first time he had found her asleep in the nursery.

He returned to his son and picked him up. "C'mon, monkeybum, let's get you some milk. Daddy's got the next two days off of work so you have both me and mummy but we will let mummy sleep more, shall we?"

When they got downstairs Bill prepared a bottle and sat in the living room whilst he fed Niall. He glanced around the room, it wasn't decorated how they had the original house nor the flat, in fact, they hadn't decorated it at all, it was still the same as it was when they first moved in. He would need to see to that.

When Niall finished, Bill burped him and washed the bottle. He and Niall then played for a bit before Niall went back for a nap. Bill debated waking Harley but since it was getting later and later into the morning, he decided it would be a wise idea. So he had a shower, got dressed and then went over to Harley.

"Harls?" He said softly as he sat on the edge of the bed, "Darling, it's time to wake up."

Harley grumbled and rolled onto her side, "no," she she said and pushed him away.

"Yes. Time to get out of bed. It's like eleven, we have stuff to do." He drew back the duvet and peppered her face with kisses.

She begrudgingly opened her eyes and sat up. "What stuff?"

"Oh, I dunno, dinner with the family?" He chuckled, "maybe we'll head to mum and dad's at one? I think everyone is getting there about midday but we'll just use Nialler as an excuse."

Harley nodded, "where is he?"

"Napping. Just like you were on the floor again. Try and make it back to bed tonight, eh?"

She rolled her eyes and gathered somethings together to go and shower whilst Bill gathered up the bag full of bits for Niall. By the time Harley was ready, he was putting Niall in his dungarees. Harley entered the nursery wiping her face which was red and puffy and Bill beamed at the sight of her. He held Niall up.

"Look mummy! We're matching!" He said in a squeaky voice as if it was Niall talking, Harley and dungarees on too. She closed-lip, smiled, raising her eyebrows. "Cuddle me mummy while daddy goes to wee!" He passed Niall to Harley and left the room.

Harley looked down at her son who stared up at her lovingly, her heart ached as she held him, carrying him out of the room and down into the kitchen. Niall started crying and Harley sighed, she rocked him, taking a dummy from the bag. "You want this?" She held it up at him, then tried to put it into his mouth but he spat it out. She rolled her eyes and raised him up to see if he had pooed- nope. So why was he crying?

Bill slipped down the stairs and saw Harley trying to calm Niall down but it wasn't working. "Pass him 'ere," he said and Harley did so. As soon as she let go of her son, the crying seized. "I guess he just prefers his daddy," Bill snickered jestingly but Harley didn't laugh.

"Let's just get going, eh? It doesn't matter if we're early, I'm sure your mum will love more time with her grandson."

"You okay?"

"You woke me up, of course I'm not." She said.

"Aww, Harley-warley didn't want to get out of bed! Sad times!"

"Oh shut up, William!"