XXIII

Revelation, Contemplation

Es sat down on the sofa next to L.

The rest of the task force was nowhere to be seen.

"Humans," L said out of nowhere, "are a very cunning species."

Es could not help but snort as Noel placed a paw on L's chest with a confused mewl.

"You do realise that you're a human too, right?" Es questioned with a raised eyebrow.

"Yes, I do," L said very gravely, "and I am a chronic liar."

Es rolled his eyes and swatted the other detective's arm.

"What about me?" he asked, a fond smile tugging on his lips.

"I do not consider you a human," L replied solemnly.

Es hummed as a prompt to continue.

"Watari considers you to be superior to me," L stated as though that answered everything.

"You prevented World War III when you were eight," Es noted in amusement.

"You discovered a plot which could also have triggered World War III at two," L shot back with a glare.

"I was in a safe environment," Es argued.

Noel, always the first to take Es' side in a spat, covered L's mouth with his tail when L was about to bicker right back.

"Whatever you say," L huffed in defeat.

Es pulled Noel to his side, flicking the cat's nose.

Though amusing, that had been unwarranted.

"You're right," Es stated after a long yet comfortable silence.

L did not ask to clarify, knowing what the other was speaking of.

"That's why you do not have to fear for my health or safety," Es continued.

L blinked in surprise.

"Then you're immortal?" L guessed, too accurately.

The tight smile Es gave L was all the answer that he needed.

"Just allow me to follow you for as long as I may and I will be satisfied," L said, as calm as ever.

Es stared at L in confusion.

He just admitted that he was immortal and all L cared about was that Es never abandoned him? Es suddenly found himself rather foolish for not mentioning it sooner out of fear that it might alter the relationship between them. The bond between them was stronger than that. Their link was not so easily broken, for a revelation of truth to tear them apart.

Es began to chuckle and before he knew it, he was hugging the other detective close as his eyes blurred with unshed tears.

He had barely even realised how lonely he was.

"Don't leave," Es found himself begging despite himself.