chapter nine

Elliot stood next to Richard at the exit of the Kingdom Hall, shaking hands with nearly everyone as they left. He exchanged words with a few of them, but most filtered past quickly to Richard.

He had preached that day. His whole family had come; they were still seated near the front, chatting to some friends. A few had pulled his dad to the side, most likely needing a more private chat with the elder.

"I enjoyed listening to you today." The crowd was dwindling, and Richard had an opportunity to step next to Elliot again. "I'm sure Duke and Grace are very proud."

Elliot looked to his parents who were starting to corral his younger siblings. They were the only ones left in the building. "Yeah. I think so."

Richard set a heavy hand on his shoulder. "I'm glad you seem to have found the guidance you were searching for." He smiled and took his hand back. "I hope to see you soon, Elliot."

They shook hands, and Richard made his way into the car park.

Elliot sighed. It was always a bit exhausting for him to preach. He got nervous in front of crowds. Now that everyone had left, he felt like he could finally relax.

"You were excellent," his mom said. She gave him a hug and smoothed her dress when she stepped back. "The Brennings have invited us to dinner tomorrow, to thank you. Will you be able to come? What's your work schedule like?"

Elliot noticed Richard's car passing through the lot and waved. "I can make that work. Are we going over to theirs?"

"Yes. Duke? What time did they say?" she asked her husband. They stopped outside the Kingdom Hall so he could lock the doors.

"Six o'clock. Are you going to see your friends now?" Duke asked. He was very tall, like Elliot, and his red curls made him taller. He wasn't as lanky though; his shoulders were broad, his stomach thick.

"Yeah." The group hadn't been together in a while. Mony was at the hospital a lot because of her long nursing hours, Izel was busy with culinary school, Zan was very involved in ministry work and Elliot had been keeping busy at the rink. "I'll be back around ten I think."

"That's fine," Grace said. "We'll see you tomorrow." She stood on tiptoes to kiss her son's cheek.

Elliot hugged his dad and younger siblings before they separated to walk to their cars. He had told Mony he'd pick up some ingredients for dinner on his way over. They were making vegan burgers; Izel had just done a skills course on it.

It was a quick stop, and soon enough he was at Mony's house with the groceries.

"Elliot! Finally, you're here!" Mony stepped back to let him inside. Her curly blonde hair was up in a drooping bun, probably from running around. She always felt the need to clean absolutely everything before anyone came over. "Izel is in the kitchen and Zan isn't here yet. How'd today go?" Her long pencil skirt was stretchy enough so she could keep a good pace, but the long sleeve shirt seemed rather constricting. It was her favorite shirt though, so she wouldn't get rid of it.

"It felt okay. My family liked it, but you know. Family."

Elliot smiled at Izel when they got to the kitchen and set the bags down on a clear spot of the counter. She had been sitting on one of the island stools, swinging her legs. Her bright yellow dress made her long black hair seem extra dark.

"Hi, Izel."

"Hey. Thanks for buying." She came to stand next to him and rifled through the bags. "Can you call Zan? I don't want to start food too early."

"Sure." He took his phone out and walked into the hall.

Zan picked up on the second ring. "Elliot? Hey, I'm just outside of the city."