[10] BIRTHDAY

"An unexpected twist tonight in the Jacob Barber case

"An unexpected twist tonight in the Jacob Barber case. We have confirmed that the Newton Massachusetts teenager is the grandson of William Barber, a man who earned the nickname 'Bloody Billy'.."

The news was on at the Rifkin's house once more, where May was preparing herself a plate of toast.

"No wonder. Of course he has a history of violence in his family." Joan tells her husband, who sits beside her on the couch. May glances up at the two, then sighs.

"This only proves more. He's guilty, I know it. I can see it in his eyes." Dan nods. "He's just a kid, Dad. How do you know he did it?" May comments.

"Why are you defending this boy? He killed your brother, May. What don't you understand?" Dan begins to raise his voice.

May looks down at the toaster. "Look at me!" He shouts. "Dan.." Joan places a hand on his shoulder. May clenches her fists, looking up.

"We don't know he did it." She explains softly. "But we do, hon. There's evidence." Joan responds calmly.

"Right. Sorry, I'll just— I'll shut up." May shakes her head, turning away as the toaster dings, then continues to listen to the television.

"Will there be a family reunion behind bars? This entire case has been remarkable from the outset. You'll recall that the accused's father, Andrew Barber, was in fact the assistant district attorney initially in charge of the Ruffin murder investigation, an investigation that ended with the arrest of Mr. Barber's own son."

"I don't trust him either. Something off about that man." Dan points off, his wife nodding. May purses her lips, taking her plate, and walking off into the dining room to eat instead.

***

May receives a FaceTime call from Jacob that same evening. Once she answers it, she is met with the smiling boy.

"Happy birthday!" May exclaims instantly. "I'm in a suit." He says goofily, holding the camera close to his face, then setting his phone down and backing away so she could see.

"Looking snazzy, dude." She laughs softly. "So, What are you gonna do?" She asks. "Uh, I'm not sure. I just finished with my tutor." He shrugs.

"Oh, well, I got you something." May grins. "No, you didn't." He shakes his head in disbelief. "Yeah, it's right here, actually." May pretends to reach off to the side, then brings her hand back, holding up her middle finger.

"Oh, wow. What a lovely gift." Jacob playfully rolls his eye. "Okay, okay. I'm kidding, I'm kidding." May laughs, reaching to grab two bracelets on her beside table.

"So, remember when you got all those beads from my bracelet after it practically burst everywhere?" May asks. "Yeah." He nods.

"Well... I took those beads, and separated them into two equal halves, and made two bracelets." She explains, then holds them up.

"Next time I see you, I can give you one." She says proudly. "Aww, May, that's so sweet. I wouldn't ask you to do that, though." Jacob smiles sadly.

"But I want to, honest. Plus, I wish I could give it to you today, but my parents keep dragging me cause I leave the house all the time." She sighs.

"You do leave the house all the time. You are way too clingy." Jacob jokes. "Oh, please. You practically beg me to come over." She rolls her eyes.

"Okay, maybe I like to have you around." Jacob admits. May pouts her bottom lip, giving him puppy eyes. "You're too kind, really."

"I know I am." He smirks.

***

🍃
Did you break into my house?

🌺
What makes you say that?

🍃

🌺 Your window was open so it's not creepy

🌺
Your window was open so it's not creepy

🍃
It's still a little creepy

🌺
Well
Do you like the gift or not, loser?
Cause I can break into your house again  and take it back

🍃
I love it
I'm already wearing it

🌺
Yeah, I bet the pink suits you 😌

🍃
Very funny 😒
And yes it does, actually
I'll hAvE yOu kNow

🌺
Where were you anyway?

🍃
My parents took me out to this restaurant
It was nice actually
To get away for once

🌺
Yeah I bet
Well, I'm glad you had a nice birthday
You deserve it

🍃
Thanks
When's your birthday?
I need to prepare

🌺
You'll be preparing for a long time lmao
It's in November
The 30th

🍃
I will remember that I guarantee you

🌺
I'll take you up on that 😌

🍃
You use that emoji wayyy too much

🌺
Believe me, I know