[22] AROUND YOU

Just before sunrise the night, it was announced that Hope was found and brought back safely to the hotel, though that same afternoon, the Barbers and May had decided to go home and skip the last three days of their trip

May still hasn't told Jacob about that night, but she knew it would get out someday. Joan was relieved to see her daughter her back home, to not be alone anymore.

May did not return to her father, only her mother, which did upset her, though it wasn't like she was expecting otherwise.

She spoke to Jacob like nothing had ever happened, even though she now knew a terrible secret. Nevertheless, she swore to always believe him, so she did.

May had also gotten news that the Barbers were moving to Colorado, which upset her for a little while, since she wouldn't get to see Jacob as often.

Now, she sat in her room, on FaceTime call with Jacob and Andy, who were now playing Othello together.

"Have you just been secretly honing your Othello skills?" Andy laughs, looking to Jacob. Jacob's phone is set against a glass up on the table, so May could see.

"It's all about taking the corners. You taught me that." Jacob chuckles. "Yes." Andy mutters.

"I have no idea how that game works but great job you guys." May smiles, holding a thumbs up. "Thanks, May." Jacob nods.

"Where'd you say Mom went again? Kind of hungry." Jacob inquires. "She just ran out to grab a few things. She'll be back soon." Andy explains.

"What's going on with her?" Jacob questions, causing Andy to look over at May on the phone. "What do you mean?"

"She just seems really... I don't know, more quiet than usual." Jacob shrugs. "Haven't you noticed, May?"

"Uh, Yeah. I guess." She nods. "Well, she's got a lot on her mind. You know, packing and the move." Andy lies. "I think we just gotta give her time."

It goes silent for a moment, Jacob just staring up at Andy. May was beginning to feel uncomfortable. "What?" Andy furrows his eyebrows.

"It's your turn." Jacob shakes his head. "I can't find a move." Andy shrugs. "It's because you don't have one." The boy smirks.

All of a sudden, May hears a loud shatter from downstairs, startling her. "Shit, Uh. I have to go. I'll talk to you later, okay, Jake?" She hangs up, then runs downstairs.

"Mom, is everything okay—" she pauses when she sees her mom on the floor, her hands bleeding from the shattered glass that she was holding tightly. She begins to cry, causing May to quickly run after her. "Mom, stop!" She screams.

Joan stops holding the glass, dropping it to the floor in shock. "Mom." May cries, hugging the woman tightly. "Go upstairs and get some sleep, I'll clean up." May offers.

"Okay." Joan sniffles, taking a towel and wrapping it around her palms while May takes a broom, sweeping up the glass, and using a paper towel to wipe off the blood.

May finds herself in tears while doing so. She can't imagine the pain her mother was feeling. Especially when May wasn't around. She should have stayed instead of left her all alone.

***

Later that night, once Joan was sleep, May sneaks her way into Jacob's room. Though he wasn't sleeping, he seemed tired. "May, hi." He furrows his eyebrows, shutting off his laptop.

"Can't remember that last time you snuck in here like this." He chuckles. All of a sudden, cutting him short, she wraps her arms around him, crying into his shoulder.

"What happened?" He whispers worriedly, burying his face in her neck. "My mom's not okay. She cut herself today. She did it like it was nothing." She sniffles.

"I'm sorry, May." Jacob purses his lips, looking down at the floor as they pull out. "I guess I.. I came here to feel better cause.. I always do around you." She lightly smiles.

Jacob returns the expression, pulling her close to him and planting a kiss on her temple. "I'm gonna get a haircut tomorrow." Jacob states, attempting to lighten the mood.

"Aw, no. I like your hair like this." May pouts her lips, ruffling up his brown locks. "Just a little bit." Jacob explains. "Yeah, it better be just a little bit." May nods.

"Hey, I don't think you should go out alone this late. Wanna stay here for the night? We can explain to my parents tomorrow." Jacob offers, taking her hand.

"Yeah. Thanks." She grins. 

Authors note
Short chapter but like the next one 😔