The not exactly a surprise gift exchange

Rayla was tired and currently on her ninth cup it of coffee. She wanted to give something else to Callum since they already knew about the PS5s but at first she had no idea what to get him. She had a knack for knitting but had never actually made anything beyond a scarf or cloth square and that's when it hit her. She was going to give him a scarf. All she had at the moment was red thread but it would work. By the time she was done with it, it was 2:00 it the morning.

Rayla woke up the next morning when Ethari knocked on her door loudly saying, "Merry Christmas."

"And a Happy New Year," she responded tiredly. They had been invited to spend Christmas in Callum's apartment this year and she was excited to give Callum the present she had made last night. She was also eager to try out the new systems they had won the day prior.

After the short elevator ride, they had arrived and were greeted by a, also tired looking, Callum. "Hi guys, Merry Christmas," he said. Rayla thought he looked the walking dead.

"Merry Christmas Callum," Runaan said, "Why do you look so tired?"

"I was up making something for today," he said cryptically. When Rayla entered the apartment, she was greeted by the delicious smell of some type of bread. "What is it in here that smells so good?" she asked.

Just then Ezran popped out with a pan of triangle shaped pastries. "They're jelly tarts" he said. "I made them myself. Would you like one?"

"Absolutely." she responded. She ate one and it tasted exactly like the name implied. They were tart but also sweet.

"Now that your all here lets start with the gift exchange." Harrow said. They all gathered around the pile of boxes and began to sort them out according to the recipient. Both Rayla and Callum both eyed the two same sized boxes that contained the prize of yesterdays competition.

"I think you should open that one first Rayla," Ezran said. "And then Callum could tell you how he got it." 

Rayla eyed Callum who just mouthed, "he doesn't know yet. Let's tell them afterwards."

"Sure," she mouthed back. She proceeded to open the box and feigned surprise when the wrapping was gone. Callum had also opened his and was faking a surprised look but the two detectives in the room weren't fooled and exhaustion didn't help.

"Why are you guys acting surprised?" Harrow questioned.

"Oh, have we got a story for you guys," Callum said and then laughed. "So the competition was a duos tournament and the two winners would each get a PS5 but your teammate was decided at random and guess who mine was." He said this whilst smiling the whole time.

"Wait whaaaaaaaaat?" everyone else in the room said in unison.

"Yeah he was partnered up with me and we ended up winning the tournament. Seems like we both entered to win the system for the other," Said Rayla.

"I am glad I got to play and win that tournament with you though," Callum said.

Rayla went over to him and hugged him. "You sappy dork" she said.

"Correction, Your sappy dork," Callum responded.

"Get a room you two," Ezran stated. Rayla and Callum both pulled away with a blush

"No don't do that, definitely don't do that," exclaimed Harrow and Runaan which only proceeded to make their blushes more prominent. They continued to open their presents and everyone had gotten good stuff. Ezran got a pet dog to keep his pet toad company when he was gone.

"I'm going to name you Zym," he said. Callum and Rayla had gotten a hover board from Runaan and Ethari and Harrow had gotten them PS Plus subscriptions. Callum and Rayla decided to try out the new hover boards with two very different outcomes. Callum was able to use it with relative ease but Rayla, on the other hand, was constantly falling down which was often followed by an amused zym staring at her.

"There's a trick to it," Callum said. "You can't fight where its going because if you shift your wait to abruptly then you'll fall." "Try and ease into it." Callum's instructions helped a little but regardless, when she was doing a little bit better she backed up to suddenly and fell backwards. She expected to  hit the ground but was caught by Callum. "Whoa there," he said. "Maybe we should try out the new PS5's we got." He helped her stand back up and she accidentally poked his chin with her horns. "Ow!" he said.

"Sorry," Rayla backed up embarrassed.

"It's okay. Besides, I always wondered what your horns felt like," he said.

"You could have just asked me to touch them dummy. You didn't have to be poked," Rayla said jokingly.

"That honestly never crossed my mind," Callum said blushing. They went over to set up the new system. Once it had been hooked up to the TV, Callum logged into  it and opened up Fortnite on it. Rayla grabbed the second controller out of the one she had received and connected it. They played duos split screen, which is terrible but what are you gonna do. The graphics were amazing and everything loaded so quickly. They won that game with a combined kill count of 24. The rest of the people in the room looked on in amazement as the two teens effortlessly killed team after team. They were a good team and it showed.

"How are you guys so good?" Ethari asked them.

"I don't know, I guess we just work well together." Callum responded. Rayla blushed at his response. After hours of playing with their new stuff and watching Ezran attempt to ride a hover board, Ethari, Runaan, and Harrow began working on dinner. Callum decided to show Rayla the present he had made her the previous night so he tapped her on the horn and she shuddered at his action. "Sorry did that hurt?" he asked concerned.

"No it just felt weird," she said. "Anyway what is it?" she asked.

"Follow me to my room, I want to show you something I made for you." he responded.

Rayla followed and was curious about what it could be. When they got to his room, she got the impression that two different people lived in it. On one side, was a gaming set up and on the other, a desk with art supplies. The desk was littered with drawings and sketches. "So what is it?" she asked. She also had the present she knitted Callum hidden behind her back. He went over to his desk and picked up a present and handed it to her. She opened it and saw a incredibly detailed drawing of her and it was in color. The picture was almost life like. It was of her sitting on a rock. She remembered their date in central park where they ate lunch on some rocks but he didn't sketch her then so when did he do it. In Rayla's opinion, the sketch was drawn to be more beautiful than she believed she was. Rayla was at a loss for words.

"Do you like it?" Callum asked. He was afraid that she wouldn't like.

"YES IT IS AMAZING," Rayla exclaimed. "But I don't look this good do I?" she teased.

"No, you look better," Callum said. Rayla walked over to him and kissed him. Callum was surprised by this but returned the kiss. 

"Smooth," she whispered to him smirking as she did. Rayla asked, "So how did you get this to be so accurate?"

"My eyes can memorize something in exact detail just from a glance and I have a photographic memory," he said very proud of himself.

"Cool," she responded surprised yet again by his powers. "I have a gift for you too." she pulled out the box she was hiding behind her back and gave it to him. He opened it and found a folded red scarf. He wrapped it around himself and it felt nice. The fabric was so soft and it had the faint scent of berries. It was the same smell he often noticed on Rayla. Along with good hearing came good smell.

"Did you make this?" Callum asked.

"Yes, do you like it?" she asked.

"I love it," he said. He decided then and there that he would wear it everywhere.