Chapter 56

"How is she?"

The doctor looked at him. 

"She's faring well. Better than expected. Probably there is something within her that is fighting towards a positive sanity. You can be one of the reasons though"

Jake nodded.

He opened the door and went in. Instead of meeting with white lights and Angela's face, his vision was blocked by darkness.

Turns out it was Angela's frizzy hair at his face as she hugged him tightly. He wished it was out of love but he knew better than that.

She was scared because she was shivering and crying. 

"What happened? Are you alright?", Jake asked softly.

"I remembered something.", she wept.

"What is it?", he inquired, patting her back calmly.

Angela pulled away from him and faced Jake who was aghast at the sight.

Apart from her disheveled hair, she had dark circles under her eyes. Her face was sunken so much that her cheek bones stuck out like a broken elbow. This all happened within a week when Jake couldn't meet her. Angela's lips were bleeding too, from biting them excessively.

"St... Stephanie was there. She was small. She h-had that inn-innocent look and I was hitting her with a belt.", Angela explained while sobbing.

Her face scrunched up at the memory.

"She kept screaming 'Auntie!' and 'Stop!' but I didn't stop. Suddenly it was me on the floor and my father was doing the same thing. And he didn't stop either."

Angela sniffed and cleared her throat.

"Why did I do that? Was I that bad? I... I deserve to die....", she cried.

Jake pulled her by the arm and he sat on the bed. Angela sat on his laps facing him and locked her legs around his waist. It was out of habit that she did that with him. Every time she spoke to Jake she would take this position. Given her medical condition, she couldn't really control her actions and emotions. She was like a very and extremely sensitive child.

But Jake was not a child. The way she acted around him and sat on him made his heart run like a horse on a race track. It was very difficult for him to control and hold the horse back.

He had to though. There was no option there. 

"Angela, there are many bad choices you made and things that you did. But if you want to repent, you have to face the consequences and live through it. I'm sure Stephanie will understand even if she won't forgive you. Do you want to protect her?", Jake said.

Angela slowly nodded her head.

This is your chance bud. You have to ask her now!

"Then tell me everything about Brandon"

"What is more to tell? I already told you before", she said hysterically.

"I know. That is how we have all the evidences that we needed. How we suspected him in the first place. In fact, we also have a recording where he was threatening Stephanie", Jake encouraged her.

Or Marilene.

Angela's eyes widened on hearing that. She was clearly bemused.

"How........how...", she began.

"That's not important. Do you have any idea what his next move might be? Till now the plan for eliminating Stephanie has gone the same way as with her parents.Like you had said.", Jake asked, cutting her off.

Angela's eyes stared beyond him, far away in thought.

When she looked back at him again, there was a firm resolution within her eyes. 

"If there is a way to purify myself from one of my many sins I'll tell you. I have a slight idea what he might do next if he is following his years ago elimination plan. After all, he always has a pattern. Persuasion, threats, capture and...", she drifted off.

"And?", Jake probed.

"And the final kill"

*

Stephanie, Chris, Steve and Marilene stood at the grave.

While Stephanie was crying quietly, the others waited by her side for mutual support. It was difficult to see her in so much pain while all they could do about that was stand and watch.

The tombstone in front of them was a beautifully embroidered stone in the shape of a large rectangular marble slab. It was purely white with their names and the years they took birth and died sculpted on it. In the middle of both the stones were the words :

Even death cannot do us part.

How true.

The priest had come and everyone had come to pay their respects. The people from the company, all the business partners and other random people. All apart from Brandon himself, the man who was one of the most trusted man by her parents.

Of course.

"I.. I need a moment... Chris can stay if you want", she whispered.

Chris gave a nod in their direction and Steve and Marilene walked away.

"Stephanie they died bravely", he consoled her.

Stephanie turned to face him. They were standing a meter apart.

"Brave you say? They died for a petty business. For money!", she shouted.

"For you! They....... did it for you", he reasoned with her.

"I lost my one family because of that. How long till I loose the one I have too?", she asked him miserably.

"No.... You won't loose us. Never. I promise you that.", he begged her.

He could not let her slip away from him. Not when she showed signs of returning to him. 

"Steph, you are our world. My world. Do not think your parents died in vain. They died thinking you would be happy. Don't let their efforts go in vain.",he said, rushing through his words.

Stephanie's eyes softened as the the words touched her heart before she looked at him in a confused way.

She started to squint her eyes at him. 

Suddenly her eyes trembled in fear. Well he now realised he should have looked behind him and not try to search for himself inside her eyes. 

Before he could turn he watched someone come and cover Stephanie's mouth with a white cloth. Chris rushed towards her but instead fell on the ground. Some other person must have banged something on his head.

Damn... I forgot to check behind m-

*

Jake was driving fast through the traffic filled roads. He swerved to the right on his way to the graveyard.

"Are you sure they will be there?", Stacy spoke from the walkie-talkie.

"Yes, Chris had mentioned they would hold Stephanie's parents' funeral today.", he answered, his eyes never leaving the roads.

"Track their phones now!", he shouted into the speaker.

None of them had not answered his phone calls and that was worrying him a lot.

"In and out. But what is going on Jake?", Stacy asked.

Jake raced through the streets. He didn't turn on the police sirens yet, not wanting to attract attention to himself. 

"It's Stephanie!", he shouted back.

You are in grave danger, Stephanie.

*****

Not more of the book is left.

So stay tuned and don't forget to vote and share this story.... It means a lot to the author.