Chapter 2

The sun was well into the sky by the time the DeathClan cats returned back to camp, greeted by the cats who stayed behind from the battle. Ravenflight and Foxpaw immediately got to work checking each cat for wounds and slapping on herbs to stop any infections. Cedarfang traveled from cat to cat on his elderly, frail limbs, begging for details of the fight. His eyes glowed as the warriors revealed some of tue news to him, listening intently like a kit listening to a clan tale.
Brokenstar glanced around at each of her clan mates, studying them closely. No one seemed to be severely injured, which was a blessing. StarClan had been on their side today.
Brokenstar slipped over to her kits, purring in satisfaction. "You two must've done well for your first battle. There's hardly a scratch on either of you!" She mewed triumphantly, pride for her two sons swelling up deep within her chest.
Shadowpaw smiled warmly, his black ears pricking up lively. "That was so much fun, yet so scary at the same time! I sent this one little she-cat crying for her mama!" His silver eyes sparkled hypnotically, glinting against the sunlight. Darkpaw laughed beside his brother, his tabby fur trembling as he did so.
"The adrenaline rush was so thrilling! I can't wait to be a warrior!" He chirped, puffing out his chest victoriously. Brokenstar chuckled softly, giving Shadowpaw and Darkpaw each a small lick on the forehead.
"I'm very proud of both of you! You will both make fantastic warriors one day!" The black she-cat purred gleefully, looking up when she heard Ravenflight approaching with herbs in his mouth. He set them down before speaking.
"Alright. It's time to check you three for wounds." He announced casually, stepping toward Darkpaw first and scanning the apprentice's pelt thoroughly with his nose. When Ravenflight found a few cuts, he grabbed some type of herb and chewed it, then placed the poultice over Darkpaw's wounds.
"This marigold will help with any infection that might develop." The medicine cat informed and moved onto Shadowpaw. Brokenstar waited patiently, purring in amusement as Darkpaw grimaced in distaste.
"This stings really bad!" He whimpered, gritting his teeth from the stinging sensations arising from the cuts on his flank. Ravenflight didn't look up from his searching on Shadowpaw when he replied.
"It's supposed to. It means it's working." He chuckled softly, finding a scratch on the black apprentice's shoulder and placing marigold poultice on that wound just as he did to Darkpaw. Shadowpaw winced as his injury began to sting as well.
Brokenstar sat up straight when Ravenflight advanced on her, feeling his wet nose sniff through her long, black fur. She giggled when he tickled her belly with his whiskers.
"That's where I'm ticklish, Ravenflight!" She exclaimed and her medicine cat laughed in return, his eyes bright.
"Oops! Sorry, Brokenstar!" His whiskers quivered in amusement, finding the claw marks on her face and shoulders and applying the herbs onto them. His leader barely flinched at the sting, and he concluded that she was trying to impress her sons with her strength and pain toleration.
Brokenstar dipped her head in thanks to her medicine cat and watched Ravenflight grab his herbs and head off toward Sandfeather, Flamestripe and Skypelt.
"You good, Broken?" Thunderheart's rumble made the she-cat turn her head to face her deputy. She beamed at the rosetted tom, nodding curtly.
"I'm all good. Have you been checked already?" The muscular tom questioned politely, his deep blue eyes content as he gazed at his leader. Brokenstar gave a small nod, wrapping her tail neatly around her petite paws.
"Have you?" She tossed the question back to Thunderheart, her eyes warm. Thunderheart sat down beside Brokenstar, grinning.
"Yes. Foxpaw checked me out. She's doing fairly well for being the new medicine cat apprentice. I bet Ravenflight is proud." He said optimistically, glancing over his shoulder at the young she-cat who was attending to Applestreak and Fernheart. Brokenstar purred joyously in agreement.
"Indeed. She's a fine young medicine cat. She will be very talented when she gets her full name. Thanks to Ravenflight, that is." The DeathClan leader mewed, giving her chest a few rough licks to smooth out her ruffled fur. "We should send out some hunting patrols immediately. We'll feast tonight!" Brokenstar declared as she leapt to her paws, Thunderheart rising along with her.
"That sounds fantastic, Brokenstar! I'll get on that right away!" The dark tom bowed his head respectfully and bounded off toward a group of chatting senior warriors. Brokenstar watched him thoughtfully, her lips curling into a smile.
He's one of the greatest warriors and friends that any cat could ask for...