Chapter 37- Nerves

Whenever we walked down the hallway, the few students that were still on campus would cross to the other side when they saw us. Instead of just smiling and walking quickly past like they have done to me the past couple of weeks. Rumplestiltskin would smile at everyone walking by, getting joy from them getting uncomfortable. They still see him as a scammer, an imp. But for some reason, he doesn't look like one. Not like he did the other night. I thought to come to a land of magic, he'd get his powers back.  I glanced down at the handcuffs on his wrists and noticed another bracelet I've never seen him wear before. When we stopped walking so Rapunzel could talk to someone, I leaned in closer to him.

"Rumpelstiltskin," I hushed. He turned to look at him. "what's that on your wrist?" I asked him. He looked down at his wrist then back at me. He was calm but his eyes were fierce. He was mad about something. 

"It halts my magic from any use. The same spell that put the barrier around our Island, is in the metal of this bracelet. And only one person can take it off," he scoffed. He's angry because he can't use his magic and is basically prisoner even off the island. But he comes onto the mainland who knows how many times and uses his magic. This won't hinder his plan, would it? 

"Greta, Dear," my mother whispered next to me. I looked away from Rumpelstiltskin to talk to my mother. "What are you wearing?" She asked me. I looked down at my black jean jacket with red stripes on the arms, red crop top, and black pants. Nothing too different from what I wore at the island, minus the leather. "You look nicer. Where's your leather jacket?" 

"In my closet," I said confused. "I bought this here just last week. Where Heather is working." 

"Heather?" She questioned. "Did you scam it from her like you always do? That poor girl, she is probably scamming you right back." She grabbed my hand with her two hands that are handcuffed together and looked at my hand. Then she brought it closer to her. "what's this on your hand? A tattoo?" I shrugged my hand away nervous that she is going to judge me for getting a tattoo, or I will have to tell her the truth of the tattoo. A secret I want to keep from her so she doesn't abuse the power. 

"Alright," Flora interrupted. "Let's have lunch shall we?" She giggled and we walked to a cafeteria. We were served full-course meals and desserts. Our parents devoured the food as they haven't had full meals in years. I kept glancing over at Wren who kept glancing over at me. Then he made nervous glances at my mother. I hope he doesn't want to talk to her. My mother leaned in closer again. 

"So that's Wren? The offspring of Rapunzel?" She scoffed giving them a stink eye. "I was told you guys were getting pretty close. All for the plan of course." My heart was beating louder. She was looking at him with a stare that scared me. "You better not mess up tomorrow. He should be leaving with me and Rumplestiltskin." She winked at me then went back to eating her dessert. I stared at her expressionless. I have my own plan, but just thinking about my mother's plan is making me sick. I feel the need to vomit and jump up from the table and rushed to the bathroom. As soon as I got in the stall I hurled my lunch. It could be nerves from seeing my mother in Grimmland plus the nerves of performing tonight. And the thought of my mother kidnapping Wren with me being a little pawn in her game. I finished throwing up and sat next to the toilet in case I have to throw up again. I pulled my knees up to my chest and rested my head. I was sick, nervous, scared. I don't know if I can even pull off our plan. I'm going up against Rumplestiltskin, famous for never losing his own games until he went up against Snow White and Prince Charming. I'm no Snow White. I'm just a kid from the cursed Island. 

I hear a door open and footsteps walking closer towards my stall. They stop right in front of my stall and knocks on the door making me jump. "Greta," they said. "It's me, Wren." My head jumped up. "I notice you run in here and wanted to check to see if you are okay." I got up slowly feeling weak and opened the stall door. He looked at me concerned and put his hands on my face checking if I was warm and wiping away sweat. I couldn't look him in the eye. He put his hand behind my head and pulled me to his chest. I was embarrassed because I probably smelt like vomit, but I haven't been in his arms for so long. So I stayed and debating on wrapping my arms around him. 

"You must be a nervous wreck right now," He soothed. "And you have every right to be. I am also nervous about seeing your mother. Thinking if I should go up to her and tell her how I feel about her daughter. And that if she did anything to hurt any woman that I love, I will come for her. But thinking Greta maybe wouldn't like that." I wouldn't be mad if he did. "Then I thought about how you must be feeling all day. Your mother is seeing Rapunzel for the first time in years. Someone she despises and you are seeing her after a couple of months. And tonight you have to perform..."

"Are you going anywhere with this?" I interrupted him so I didn't have to hear everything that I already know. he quietly laughed. 

"And I was waiting all day for a time to comfort you to know that I am here, by your side," he said tightening his embrace. "And I'm also thinking that hugging you in a women's bathroom by a toilet full of vomit is not the most romantic place." I laughed, out loud this time, at his comment. He was right, what kind of setting is this? So in reply, I wrap my arms around him.  His embraces always gave me energy. This time it was giving me confidence. He promised to meet me before and after the performance for good luck and he left the bathroom so I could clean up. 

After the lunch there was tea, of course. They had to have the full Grimmland experience. This was also a time for the parents to speak with us kids and even to speak with Flora or Rapunzel. While Rapunzel had multiple guards near her, she said they were always welcome to talk to her. Remmington was stiff around Rumplestiltskin, barely even speaking to him when Rumple would try to get his son to respond. Like the event of him throwing a knife in his leg didn't even happen. Hans was admiring all the beautiful china and decor and gloating about what he had once was so much nicer. Shan Yu and Shawn were same as usual, quiet. Mother and I were also silent. She stared down at my hand tattoo. I moved my hand away from her view. 

"I'm excited to see you perform tonight my darling," she said. "A performance we will never forget I'm sure."