Chapter 13

Thirteen
☢☢☢

We had our Girl's night out in the next four days on a Tuesday night. And so far, I hadn't seen Jay at all. We went to a fair to ride the Ferris wheel and then ended up at a psychic's booth out of Vanessa's insistence to have our futures read.

In a tiny room, dark and illuminated with purple and green neon lights, the three of us sat facing Hera, the psychic, across the table. A fancy name she fashioned herself with. She seemed to be in her late thirties. Black lipstick against her pale white skin and glittery eye-shadows that literally glowed in the dark made her look the part as she sat staring deep into Vanessa's eyes, tarot cards lay spread out before us on the dark table.

The atmosphere did feel different inside this booth. I figured it was probably something to do with the lighting and the location, which was at one far corner of the fair, where there weren't too many noisy activities for the crowd to indulge in.

Hera slowly and cautiously dropped her shoulders as she sighed, "I can feel your energy everywhere in this room."

Carli grinned.

Vanessa leaned closer over the table, "What do you see?"

"What do you wish to see? Your past, present, or future?"

Vanessa thought for a moment and replied, "Nothing left to do with the past. Present and future."

"We'll start with the present."

Hera picked up a card, glared at Vanessa to give that psychic-ish effect, and said, "The Emperor. I see a man!"

"No shit, Sherlock!" Carli butted in.

"Quiet!" Vanessa clipped.

I couldn't swallow the smile on my face.

"What else?" Vanessa asked.

Hera picked up a blue stone from the bowl on the table and placed it over the card. She then drew in a deep breath whilst keeping her sharp eyes on the card. We waited for the next mind-boggling revelation.

"He's not far," she murmured.

"Nathan!" Vanessa gasped.

"What?" I turned to her.

"I mean, you know I like him a lot. Sorry."

Hera flipped another card. "A reversed Magician. Oh, it's sad that he's out of touch. So close and yet so far." She sighed at Vanessa with a sorry face.

"Oh my God! Oh my God!" Vanessa gaped at Hera. "So true! I see him every day and yet he doesn't even know I exist. What more does it say?"

"A reverse magician tells me that this knight-in-shining-armor of yours is not a man to be trusted. He's an illusion. He's not going to be a part of your future."

"For real?!" Vanessa frowned.

"You wanna marry him?" I asked.

"I don't know but he's hot. I wanna be his girlfriend at least for a day. So, what? Is there any chance he could at least notice me?"

Our psychic picked up another card. "Now this is interesting. Two of Swords. It's a hard decision to make. You will face this challenge."

"What do you mean?"

"It means there are two choices."

"Two guys?"

"Yes."

"Wow!"

"Follow your heart. Listen to your inner voice. It's trying to communicate with you every day."