Home Life

Growing up I knew that I was different. Neither of my siblings looked like me, nor my parents. I looked more like Mr. Gilt than my parents. Arithena told me that I was cursed, a monster, half devil, and that's why I looked like this. I never forgot that, even in the end. My mother loved me, and wanted to raise me as a normal child, but my father disagreed. I was never allowed to leave the grounds, and always had one of the house maidens and guards with me, but that was okay, Ront was always happy to play with me. He called me spike and loved it when I made the leaves change colours for him, even as teenagers, he still loved that trick.

When I was 12, a rich man from a far away place came to see me. I didn't know why, but my mother cried as my father introduced me to him. He looked at me and had me do various scholarly tasks and asked my father about my "infernal heritage" ....it was then that I knew what I was and why I was kept a secret. I had been kept away from certain books in the library, that referenced devils and demons, until then I assumed it was for religious reasons, but hearing that phrase reminded me of something Mr.Gilt said about his own "infernal heritage". I was a Tiefling, born of stained blood from dealings with infernal beasts, and apparently, I came from Azmodeius. That day, my world changed.

Then I was no longer allowed to play fight with Ront, I had to take lessons with Arithena, who was insufferable about the whole ordeal, telling me that I was being sold as a wife to this mans son, to get rid of me and pay for the sins of the family. I started to develop antlers, that burned as they grew from my head, causing me not to sleep at night and to bloody my bathing waters and fine dresses n an almost daily basis. They forbade me from using my magics, but I defied them in small ways, speaking to birds and helping the plants in the garden to grow. My limited powers became a solace for me; they were nowhere near as spectacular or godly as my sisters but having them allowed me a small amount of peace in the prison I called home.

At the age of 17 I was formally engaged to the old man's son, I never saw either of them again, but it was arranged by my parents and I was made to wear a metal ring that make my finger itch and skin crawl. i was given more freedom around the estate, allowed to roam on my own or with my brother, if we did not stray from the grounds. Mother thought it good of me to care for him as he was such a "special" boy,  my father was less approving, saying it was the job for a sitter, not a noble lady, no matter how cursed she may be. That year was blissful, I spent time playing with Ront and teaching him how to care for the animals and plants in the gardens, Arithena even kept her distance; but all good things come to an end.

                The day of my 18th birthday I was showered with gifts, fancy dresses, jewellery and pricy books, all befitting of a lady. A ball was held at the estate, with a choice guest list of only those who knew I existed. I remember the taste of the tiny pastries served by the fleet of staff, I remember the beauty and comfort of my silken dress, and the pride in my mother's eyes as I descended the stairs to the ballroom. It was magnificent and a night I will always remember, because that was the night my father passed on the family company to my sister and told me to be gone before the week was over. My mother wept and Ront sat in silence as my father told me that if I wanted to see the world before I was married, I had to leave then, or be kept a prisoner for the rest of my life. I packed my bags that night and said my farewells the next morning. I will never forget the look of heartbreak on Ronts face as I explained that I had to leave, and I might not come back.

Travelling

                I spent two years wandering, using the Cassalanter name to find help and pay my way. I saw a great many things, tabaxi travellers selling stories in taverns, dwarven miners selling their gems, and markets. Bright, vibrant markets, full of sounds and smells to excite you. Every town and city I visited had one and wandering through them became my favourite pastime. Wherever I went it was always the same, people treated me with respect, but none spoke words of kindness or looked at me for longer than necessary, but I felt the stares on my back the moment I turned  even here, I was a monster.

                One town I came across had a small band of Tieflings, who welcomed me with open arms and bombarded me with questions about my past and what brought me here. I explained about my parents and my marriage, and how this was my chance to see the world before I was married. These were the first people to treat m with kindness, and even invited me to join their journeys for a while. I declined, but they insisted I at least joined them for the evening. That night was possibly one of the best of my life I was introduced to wine, and a traditional dish called "blood broth". They taught me about different heritages and showed me different powers and abilities. One even gave me a staff to help me hone my own skills, telling me that I was a druid and that meant I was a protector of the earth.  In the morning I bid farewell and they suggest I travel West, which I did.

I set off west, the journey was hard, but easy to track if I followed the river.  After a few weeks I reached a small town on the river called "Loudwater". It was perfect. The place was small, had a market and an adventuring guild, allowing me to practice my magics. I immediately signed up for a room in the tavern an sent a letter to my parents and Ront to inform them of my whereabouts.