| η |

| 11,200 - 11,190 BCE |

| The Titanomachy - Part Two |

"Perseus, you are a fool," says Oceanus, Lord of the Sea, the Titan of the Waters. And, perhaps now, first and foremost, Perseus's father. Oceanus sits upon his throne with pursed lips and heavy eyes. His tail flicks around nervously toward the end, and the crab claws atop his head click anxiously. "What you have done... there is no stopping what comes next. No one can protect you now. Not even I."

Perseus, from where he stands, —about ten feet away from the stairs leading to the elevated platform that holds Oceanus' throne— bows his head even further, staring intently at the polished ground. He remains silent.

Oceanus sighs, deep and heavy. And then, he scoffs, "Betraying my brother! Committing treason! I thought no one had the gall, much less my own son. Perseus... my eldest, this is the most inane act you have ever committed. You do not know what you have started."

Perseus raises his head. His hands, from where they are clasped behind his back, tighten. "But I do, Father. The Crooked One is evil— no longer fit to rule over Gaea. By the protogenoi, you said it yourself. I am only doing what should have been done long ago."

"Perseus," Oceanus said again, and Perseus was verbally struck into silence. "Why have you come, child of mine? Why have you returned to my palace, why have you returned to the sea, when you seem so bent on disregarding everything that has been so carefully set into place? If the King finds you have returned here, you will surely get us all killed. You have humiliated him, and he seeks revenge. Perhaps, ha! Perhaps I should turn you over to him myself!"

"You will not," Perseus says, or maybe prays.

Oceanus shrugs and collapses back into his throne, the fight seemingly knocked out of him. He lazily flicks his hand at Perseus. "Answer me."

Perseus takes a deep, calming breath, and abides, "Father, in the chance that a war breaks out between the Crooked One and us—"

"A chance! A chance! You are a dolt if you do not believe that one has already started—!"

"In the chance that a war breaks out between the Crooked One and us," And when Oceanus does not interrupt from where he is stewing in his enraged amusement, Perseus continues, "I need to know that you will, at the very least, declare neutrality. Or perhaps, in your generosity, side with us."

The water around him trembles with rage. For a moment, Perseus thinks that this will be his end. That he will be drowned in his own domain. But the quakes lessen, and then they stop completely. Oceanus, from his throne, seems to be alternating between frothing with rage and collapsing completely like a shallowed husk.

"How dare you ask this of me." He says, and for a moment, Perseus feels a deep guilt and shame burn in his chest before he can stomp it out. "You cannot ask this of me."

"But I am."

"But you are," Oceanus agrees. He closes his eyes and thinks, where he remains for quite a long time. When he opens them again, they are tired and restless. "Perseus, I believe that perhaps it is best you depart from here as soon as possible, before the King and his soldiers storm by doorsteps."

"Father—"

"Leave!" Oceanus roars, and Perseus is forced to stumble back a few steps when the water surrounding him pushes against his chest. Oceanus resumes, much quieter, "Now."

Perseus holds his gaze for three seconds. He can count each beat. And then, he dissolves into the water and appears in a land unknown to all but a few, and far from Oceanus' Palace.