Chapter Fifty-Three: I Did Help

~Now I'm pacing back and forthWishing you were at my door~Enchanted - Taylor Swift

Wishing you were at my door~
Enchanted - Taylor Swift

~3rd Person POV~

It isn't terribly long till Jessica wakes up, still in the corner of the bridge where she'd fainted. The stress her animal senses were causing her along with having to go back to where she'd been tortured was too much for her heart to handle, so her brain shut her body down before anything bad could happen.

Ray is still sitting on the floor next to her. In fact, he'd moved himself so her head is laying on his lap instead of on the cold, metal floor. His hand had been stroking her neck the whole time, and each time he could feel her getting a little colder. She is a reptile, but because of how large she is, her body still gives off heat. Right now, her body is functioning so slowly that her internal heat source is slowed down.

Her body shivers as she opens her eyes and looks up at Ray, giving out a short breath loud enough to catch his attention.

"Jess?" He asks as he looks down at her. She closes her eyes again and presses her head against his warm body. He sees her toes twitching and her muscles clenched, and he can tell she's holding herself back from shivering. "C'mon, turn back, let me take you to the bed." She complies, changing back to her human self and allowing Ray to carry her off to his quarters. Her pants are stretched and torn in some places, but they still manage to cover her well enough.

"That's not normal," Jax tells the rest of the team. "I've seen her stressed out, but this? Man."

"Amaya is right, animal senses don't lie. If she's down this bad then we need to be careful with this," Sara explains to her crew. "We need to split into groups to find the missing fragments and get back to the ship before they know we're there."

"How will we know they don't know?" Nate asks.

"Ray will keep watch for us," Sara answers. "He'll shrink down and watch Thawne to make sure he doesn't know we're there. At least until we've got the fragments and we're gone."

"Okay, but how do we find their pieces of the spear?" Amaya questions Sara.

"I'll finish explaining when everyone gets back here. I don't wanna repeat myself." Sara sits in a nearby chair.

Meanwhile, Jessica has a light grasp on Ray's hand in an attempt to stop him from going. Ray sighs and looks back to her laying pale on his bed.

"Don't go," she whispers to him. He squeezes her hand and sits next down beside her.

"I have to go help," he tells her sorrowfully. He wishes more than anything to stay and comfort her instead of go out and stress her even more. He just has to hope she'll be okay while he's gone with the team. "I promise I'll be back as soon as I can."