Back | LIV

"So, how are we handling things now?"
Sam looked up from the kitchen counter towards the bathroom door. "Handling what?"
The door opened, Sarah stretched her head out, dripping water from her hair. "Your son died today."
"But he's not dead anymore," Sam said.
Sarah chuckled. "You said this before, I bet." She left the bathroom and walked towards him, leaving wet footprints on the floor. "Did you like dinner?"
"You're an amazing chef." Sam turned the bar stool and pulled her on his lap. "It was great."
She smiled and leaned against his shoulder. The two remained silent, only a light above the island illuminating the late night. Once they had gotten home, Sarah whipped up a quick meal before she took a shower. Now, her hair drenched the fabric of Sam's shirt, and it dripped down to the floor.
"There's something I need to talk to you about." Sam wrapped his arm around her. "I know this isn't really, uhm... Something you should ask someone."
Sarah lifted her head. "I'm sure you wouldn't ask if it wasn't important," she said.
Sam nodded. "I'd like you to get a tattoo."
Sarah tilted her head. "Not what I expected," she said. "Is that like... a preference or anything?"
"No, no." He pulled on his shirt, revealing his own tattoo. "It's for protection. It protects you from demonic possession."
Sarah traced the faded ink. "Does it have to be on the chest?" she asked.
"No," Sam said. "My mom has it on her hip, and Cas' is between his shoulder blades."
"So, I can choose a place?" She smiled. "That's fun. My first tattoo."
Sam couldn't hide his smile. "If you wanna get another one first, that's okay."
"No!" She got off his lap and tugged the towel tighter. "Do you have any plans for tomorrow?"
Sam collected his dishes and got up from the chair. He brought them to the sink and turned on the water. "Eliot and I are going downtown to get lunch."
"Sounds fun." Sarah had already disappeared into their bedroom as Sam washed the dishes. "Do you know if the kids are going out tomorrow too? If so, I'll treat myself to some takeout tomorrow."
Sam smiled and followed Sarah's wet footprints. "You deserve it," he said. "And tomorrow night, we'll have a movie night. Just us two. How's that sound?"
"Lovely." Sarah smiled up at him. "Are you two going out for a reason?"
"Sorta." Sam climbed on his side of the bed and slipped under the blanket. "We're looking for colleges near here."
Sarah tilted her head. "Colleges?" she asked. "Is there something you want to tell me?"
"Maybe." Sam chuckled to himself. "I'm too old to live without any sort of work experience. I wanna redo my law degree since I doubt Sam Winchester is technically alive."
Sarah giggled and slipped under the blanket beside him. "Well, you probably could get into law school right away. I mean, you did go to college after all."
"But that'd be wrong," Sam said.
"Because the first few decades of your life were so lawful." Sarah laughed as she scooted closer. She sank her head on Sam's chest, under his arm. "It's cute that you want to do it again. I'll let you decide."
Sam smiled. "We'll talk about it tomorrow." He pressed a gentle kiss on her head, his eyes slowly falling shut after an exhausting day.