The Summoning

AN: Hey all! I've decided to do a 'Rising of the Shield Hero' fanfic this time and I thought of this one after reading a few shield hero fanfics for the past few weeks. This idea just came to me out of no where; like, poof! And I thought, since shield hero is getting a second and third season and I don't know when the hell they are gonna premiere, especially with COVID-19 happening, maybe I can do a retelling of the first season my own way with my own filler thoughts just like what I'm doing with Black Clover with female Asta.

And no, Naofumi is NOT gonna be female in this one, so sorry to anyone who wants to see a Shefumi fanfic. You're just gonna have to write one all on your own. Anyway, here's the story so enjoy!😊

On a mountaintop, a lone figure wearing a green cape stood looking over it with the wind blowing through his black hair. He looked to the side when he heard laughter and he saw a woman with raccoon animal ears and a raccoon tail playing with a little girl with long blonde hair and she was wearing a white dress. The figure smiled when he saw the two playing ball with each other and the girl missed catching the ball and it rolled over to him.

He picked it up and handed it to the girl and she smiled at him when she got it back and she ran back to the raccoon lady. It was then that the figure felt someone's arms wrap around him from behind and two others gently took his hands to hold them. The figure smiled and leaned into the figure behind him as he watched the two girls play.

Suddenly, a pair of emerald green eyes shot open and a man sat up in bed breathing heavily. He ran a hand through his hair and he thought, what was that? A dream? Not wanting to think about it, the man got up and decided to take a shower to clean himself up. Naofumi Iwatani is just a regular university student living an ordinary life like everyone else. However, he was given a task from his parents before the left to work overseas to watch his little brother.

After Naofumi was done showering, he put on a green tracksuit, had a little breakfast and decided to make a little extra for his brother since he's living with him. Once he was done and he put the food in the fridge so it can be heated up later, Naofumi went to the door that led into his brother's room and he said through, "Jun? I'm heading out to the library now. I made you something extra in case you get hungry later. I'll be back in a couple hours."

Not getting a response, Naofumi headed out the front door and locked it. As Naofumi was walking to the library, he remembered why his brother was staying with him to begin with. Naofumi's little brother Jun Iwatani is a second year in high school and he decided to drop out of high school and become a shut-in. Knowing Naofumi is already a university student and focusing on his studies, Naofumi's parents asked him to watch out for Jun until he's stable enough to go back to school.

On weekdays before Naofumi went to classes, he would always make extras breakfasts and lunches for Jun and the he would stop at the convenience store to get ingredients for dinner. On his days off, Naofumi would sometimes ask Jun if he would like to hang out with him, but Jun wouldn't reply. Naofumi started to become worried about his brother and wondered what it would take to make Jun snap out of it and why he's shutting himself out from the world.

As soon as Naofumi got to the library and he greeted the librarian, who was always happy to see Naofumi whenever he came, he began to browse the shelves for anything good to read. Naofumi looked at many books on the shelves from nonfiction, to sci-fi, to fantasy, to mangas, etc. Just as Naofumi passed by one of the bookshelves to see the books next to it, one book practically slid out on its own and landed on the floor with a loud thud. The noise made Naofumi jump and one patron walked by and shushed him before walking away to join their friends.

Naofumi looked on the ground to see which book fell and what he saw made him a bit interested. When he picked up the book, Naofumi saw the title and it read, 'The Tale of The Four Cardinal Heroes.' As Naofumi opened the book, he began to read it to find out what it's about. In the book, Naofumi learned about the four cardinal heroes that were summoned to another world which is run by a king, a queen and their two daughters. Naofumi looked at the picture of the first princess and instantly his mind grimaced and he thought, she looks like a total bitch.