WHY PROCRASTINATION IS A GOOD THING (SPEECH)

DISCLAIMER: This is the prepared speech I originally wrote and used for Butte Academic Decathlon where I got a gold medal ;)

Yes, I wrote this in an academic competition hahaha.

Time: At least 4 minutes.

Enjoy 😊

●●●●●●●●●○●●●●●●●●●●○●○●○●●○○○○○○○○○○○●○○○○○○○○○

Why Procrastination Is A Good Thing by K. Jhae

"Life might be a race against time but it is enriched when we rise above our instincts and stop the clock to process and understand what we are doing and why. A wise decision requires reflection, and reflection requires a pause." This is a quote by Frank Partnoy in his book, "Wait: The Art and Science of Delay".

I was supposed to give the dictionary definition of procrastination, but we practice it everyday. Now, society tends to take procrastination as if it's a really bad thing -but if you think about it, it really is not. It just depends on how you use it. Some procrastinate because the feeling of mimicking a slug and to stay idle is just too hard to resist; but there are also some, like the wisest leaders in the Greek and Roman era procrastinate, because they didn't want to waste time and energy unless if it is really necessary. Leonardo da Vinci, the supreme genius of the Italian Renaissance, was a procrastinator too! Sure, it took him 16 years to finish Mona Lisa -but it turned out to be beautiful, and even one of his most famous works.

John Perry, a professor of philosophy in Stanford University, believed that there are two types of procrastination. Passive procrastination and structured procrastination. Mr. Perry said that passive procrastination is really just laziness, but "structured procrastination" is good when used in a right way. Structured procrastinators are the ones who prioritizes their prime concerns on which of what should be done first. And we all know that time management is important, especially to students, because one can get more work done and it gives the student more time to take a breath, and relax.

An article from the New York Times mentioned that a relaxed and calm mind can make a person more productive. Another positive thing for those who procrastinate would be... well, since they get to have lower stress levels, then they are to be healthier compared to those who stress themselves all the time. That's a good thing! Less stress, less wrinkles.

A structured procrastinator would gather information while waiting; through this process, creativity is being enhanced, and the capacity of the ability to work under pressure intensifies that it brings the bar way up to a whole new level. And the capability to work under pressure builds attitude that converts the negative stress to a positive one and will certainly bring quality.

Procrastination is a very powerful skill, which is why a procrastinator should be responsible. A responsible procrastinator stays committed. Just as what Uncle Ben told Peter Parker, "Remember, with great power comes great responsibility."

All in all, procrastination has its ups and downs, but if one is to use procrastination properly such as being a structured procrastinator, then it isn't a bad thing. If procrastination is used with discipline, expect for triumph and prosperity; but if this gift is to be abused, then the destiny of being swallowed by a black hole in Doomsville is inevitable.

So, don't be lazy, but be wise.