Chapter 2: Can't I be normal?

( This support is honestly overwhelming, thank you for the dedication to this rarely updated story! Just wondering, would you want a new cover for this? I just used the same picture from the original and my drawing skills have increased dramatically.)

It's been a week since then, I was properly introduced after the government people left and that was REALLY awkward,  honestly why is my life so crazy. It's protagonist crazy and I thought I was done with that. I'm at least glad I don't have to deal with crutches anymore.

A gunshot gets me out of my thoughts. "Nakamura! I distinctly remember saying no discharging guns in the classroom!" Yellow yelled.

"I know..." A blonde with a yellow sweater  says rubbing the back of her head, I can't see her face.

"Back row, young lady. Think about what you have done." She sighed, turning to the back and walking to the extra desk beside me, her eyes are really blue.

She turned to me and gave a grin, huh? Um okay, and I awkwardly gave a small wave back. I half listened to Yellow in my head. It was another day in class 3-E. I don't know why Yellow wanted to teach, but we needed to assassinate him somehow... Even if 10 billion yen is tempting, I'd rather not kill someone again even if they look like an octopus.

Yellow was writing something on the board when the bell then rang interrupting him. "Oh, that's lunchtime everybody. Excuse me while I pop over to China for a quick bite. You have my cell number, any killers feeling especially trigger-happy are welcome to hit me up." He disappeared in a blur, at I think his top speed of Mach 20.

It amazes me how he can do that, it just isn't possible without cheat codes really. Maybe 10 minutes until he comes back? Eh. I don't know, it's been two years since I've been in school... I spaced out a bit. I get back from that death game and I have a year to kill a yellow octopus that can blow up the earth... My life is crazy.

I got out my lunch my mom made for me. It had a nice sandwich with a water bottle in it. I dug in and it was strangely quiet. Shouldn't a junior high classroom be louder? Or was my class just really rowdy?

I swear there was a few eyes on me, the Nakamura girl went back to her seat again a while ago, then I saw a blue-haired boy walk outside with a few others.

I wonder what kind of RPGs have come out? Haven't really touched my computer at all. Used to not be able to spend an entire day without going on it. Heh, I'm definitely not number one in the rankings anymore, that's for sure.

⚔️

"Okie-Dokie! Your assignment this afternoon is to compose a small poem. The final line should read, 'was tentacles all along'. When you've completed the assignment, kindly bring it forward. You will be graded on creativity, grammar, and overall beautiful expression. Here's an example: not the storm of garden's snow moving along, spreading their instead with tentacles all along. You may go home once you're finished."

Several gasps were heard, and complaints. I just sighed and tried to write something good enough. I saw the blue-haired boy from earlier walking up with his poem already, but then I saw the knife. Breathe, this is going to be normal, and it's just rubber. He attacked Yellow and Yellow caught it. "What did I say about thinking outside the box?"

Then the boy jumped on Yellow and the boy with bleached military cut pressed a button and an explosion, I think a grenade, blew up. WHAT THE HELL?! I ducked down to dodge the BB's that went everywhere. One of the BB's could have impaled that one boy! He could have died or gotten injured!... I need to learn their names.

"What the hell is this weird membrane?" I looked up from under my desk.

"It's not a body, but a husk. I shed my skin once a month. I wrapped it around your classmate to protect him from the blast." I looked up and saw Yellow, he looked terrifying. The atmosphere was filled with a type of bloodlust.

"I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume you didn't see this coming. Terasaka. Yoshida. Muramatsu." Yellow was turning black. "This was your doing. Wasn't it?" They started panicking.
He disappeared and came back with all the name plates from our houses and apartments.

"Here's the deal, kiddos. The agreement I have with your government forbids me from harming you. But there's a catch. If you pull another irresponsible stunt like that again.... There is nothing that says I can't harm someone else. Family... Friends... Everyone in the world except for you, if I feel like it." I was frozen in place like everyone else. That... Got dark real quick.

In the end Nagisa got praised for technique and composure. The three nitwits got scolded, should really remember names better. I sat down to continue writing the poem that had to end with "was tentacles all along", geez that is weird.

⚔️

"I'm home!" I yelled unnecessarily into our home. I shut the door behind me and locked it. I could smell dinner being cooked.

"Welcome home, Kirito. How was school?" Mom called from the kitchen. I walked over there and dropped my school bag on the ground carefully.

"It was good, some of the writing assignments are... odd, but Sensei is nice. I'm fine in Home Ec, but cooking is still not a strong suit for me." We both chuckled knowing how true that is.

After dinner and me already in my PJs, I finally sat at my computer desk. Turning it on and putting the password in were no problem. The tabs were still open though. The live stream of Sao was ended, I immediately closed that. Another tab was of Akihiko Kayaba, closed that even faster. I spent an hour on the news before I went to bed.

I laid down on my bed, dozing off when I got another glimpse of the Nerve Gear on my shelf. Not in that death game anymore but I still have the craziness of a yellow octopus teacher who can move at speeds of Mach 20 just to get some lunch.

I went here for some normalcy, not this insane quest to kill a teacher. As long as no one knows I was in Sao, nevermind being the best clearer and solo player there that beat the game early, I think I can keep it as normal as I can.

I hope I didn't jinx it...