19 - mission failed

E L L A

My mission all day has been to look for the boy from the masquerade party. And so far I haven't figured out shit.

I know his name, but that's about all he told me about himself. He spent the rest of our time together talking about how much he knows me and my antics.

I've been approaching every large group I see on campus with the same question. 'Do any of you know where I can find Miles Moreno?' But none of them seem to know who the hell I'm talking about. Which makes me think he's either very unpopular around campus or he didn't even tell me his real name.

I know the latter is absurd so I stick to the first option and I remind myself that NYU has a huge campus that stretches all throughout New York City. He could be in a class right now, or in his dorm room or maybe he doesn't even go to NYU but he still happened to be at that party at that time and he saw me.

I'm not sure what that kids deal is. But I can't help but want to figure him out as soon as possible so I can decide on how exactly I'm going to deal with my predicament.

Syd thinks I have a crush on him. He believes the reason I've been so weird about him lately is because I'm interested in the mysterious boy who was hiding behind a mask at a random college frat party last weekend. And maybe he's right. Maybe I am intrigued by him.

But I won't know until I see him again.

I make it back to the coffee house and unsurprisingly my friends are still glued to their same spots at the far right corner with new cups of warm coffee in their hands. I make my way towards them and once I take a seat in defeat Sophia gasps at the sight of me being back, and Joel goes straight to business.

'He's here.' Are the first words I hear escape Joel's mouth and I look to Sophia for conformation. She nods to clarify my suspicion and I turn to follow both Joel and Sophia's gaze to find the boy seated with a friend on one of the sofas at the far end of the shop.

He doesn't look at me, he's invested in a serious conversation with his friend and I study his features but I'm not so sure it's really Miles from that party. It could be any other attractive tall guy, why did they think it was Miles? What made him stand out? 'Are you guys sure it's him?' I ask and they both nod their heads at me eagerly.

'Positive.' Says Joel. 'I was eyeing him while he eyed you at that party. Trust me I always remember a hot guy when I see one and I did tell you he was a sight for sore eyes didn't I?' I punch Joel softly on the arm because I hate how he speaks about Miles as if I don't have a boyfriend thousands of miles away in California. As if I don't feel guilty for finding him even remotely good looking.

He makes it seem as though it's okay for me to indulge in this sort of a conversation, discussing how hot the guy is and how much he interests me. I want to agree with him, because that boy sitting a few feet away from me definitely was drop dead gorgeous but it's not like I was going to blatantly admit it out loud. That would only prove Syd right. So I send Joel one last glare before standing back up again and heading for Miles.

Sophia clutches my arm tightly. 'Where are you going?' she hisses at me.

I stare at her. 'I'm going over there.' I state matter of factly because I thought that part was quite obvious.

'Why?'

'Because I have to.' I explain and I hear Syd scoff very loudly for all of us to hear. All three of us turn our heads to face him and he has a smug look on his face which I so badly want to smack off of him. 'What is it?' I ask trying to hold myself back from cussing at him because he is my roommates boyfriend after all, and I don't want to hurt Sophia's feelings.