Chapter 3 - The Specimen

Theodore Preston never thought the day would come. They called him crazy, delusional even. But as he stared at the mini humanoid creature in the jar, he knew had finally done it. This was no delusion. He would be famous.

As a naturalist, he studied birds until one day he caught a glimpse of something truly spectacular. A small, winged figure was flying through the forest and disappearing into thin air as if it crossed some kind of invisible shield.

He tried following the creature, but he just walked right through it onto more forests. For whatever reason, he couldn't get through, and he was determined to find out why.

Since then, he spent every waking hour trying to prove he wasn't crazy. He knew that there were new species out there just waiting to be discovered. Species far beyond anything anyone had ever seen, beings of magic.

His fascination with the magical creatures became an obsession, and he lost himself and his family in the process. His wife, his daughter, his everything. But with this discovery, he could finally bring them back. At last, they would believe him, and they could be a family again.

Tink!

The sound of the creature hitting the jar pulled Theodore out of his thoughts. The creature is feisty. He observed the miniature winged man slam against the jar in a fruitless attempt to escape.

Theodore chuckled as he leaned over the jar and peered down at his discovery. He watched as it's golden wings began fluttering, pulling its body off the bottom of the jar. The tiny hands wiped off his green leaf-like tunic, and Theodore watched as the creature squared its shoulders. Its wings began fluttering faster as he squatted and launched at the jar again.

Tink!

The creature hit the glass only to fall back on its rear once again. Theodore let out a hearty laugh.

Unable to contain his excitement, he had made it back to his house in record time, setting the jar with the creature on his desk.

I've finally got you. He thought as he brought over his set of examination tools. Each silver tool was shining under the dim lamplight, begging to be chosen.

Now it's time to see what you're made of...He mumbled to himself as his hands closed around the cold steel instrument. It was time to begin his experiments.