Chapter 9 - Ultimatums

Torrin was shocked to say the least.

Instead of grabbing him, the girl seemed surprised he even existed. By the way her eyes widened as she stumbled away from him, it would seem she was even afraid of him. With a huff, Torrin straightened his tunic and stretched his wings.

Good, let her be afraid. He thought as he strained his injured wings enough to fly out, his boots landing on the lip of the jar with a soft tink. From this spot, he looked down at the girl who had fallen. Truthfully, the girl looked dead. Her eyes were closed and her raven hair fanned around her pale face like a ebony crown.

Unlike the other human, this girl's features were less hideous.

But only slightly, Torrin mused.

Though his eyes lingered longer than he liked to admit, his gaze lowering to the rosiness of her pale cheeks and the peachy pinkness of her lips.

Suddenly, the girl's eyelids began to twitch. Torrin bristled at the movement, jumping to hide behind the jar as the girl began to shift. Torrin peaked from his hiding spot to watch the human girl begin to stand once again.

Looking around the room, the girl sighed.

"Oh good, it was just a dream" she said with a breath of relief, slowly standing back up.

Torrin thought for a moment. It seemed the human girl was afraid of him, perhaps he could use this to his advantage. A mischievous grin took hold of Torrin's lips as a plan formed in his mind.

"I can assure you I was no dream," Torrin said, emerging from behind the jar to regard the girl. He watched in amusement as her hazel eyes widen in surprise. The girl blinked and rubbed her eyes as if she could wipe away what she was seeing.

"You're not going to faint again are you?" Torrin jibed, enjoying the shocked expressions he received from the human girl.

"I didn't...wait...Y-you can talk?!" The girl stammered, stepping back.

Stupid girl. Torrin mused, watching her weary display with satisfaction. She would be his ticket out of this forsaken place.

"As you see." He huffed, rolling his eyes.

"What...Who are you?" The girl asked, still keeping her distance.

Torrin thought for a moment before answering honestly, "I am Prince Torrin of Alderpine" he said with an exaggerated bow before straightening to shoot the girl a look, "But of course it's only natural a human like you wouldn't know."

Suddenly she gasped, "What happened to your wing?!"

Torrin's eyes widened, glancing at his injured wing. His usually brilliant gold wings were now a dull copper with numerous slashes and lacerations. It would be an easy fix if he was back in Alderpine. His mother's magic could have healed him with a wave of her hand, but he wasn't in Alderpine. He was in the human realm, and now he could barely fly a few inches off the ground, and even that was a taxing feat.

Torrin frowned, hiding his wings behind his back as an angry flush cross his face.

"This is the work of your brutish friend of course."

The girl blinked, "Friend?"

"The giant with the curly grey locks and the odd clear circles over his eyes," He drawled, gesturing a circle around his sparkling emerald eyes.

Torrin's frustration grew when she fell silent.

"Do you not know this giant?" He pressed, irritated by her lack of an answer. She had to know him is she was in his residence. Did she take him for a fool?

"No...I know him," she mumbled, looking away.

"Great, then perhaps you are here to torture me too then?" Torrin growled, crossing his arms across his chest.

"Torture? I don't want to do that! I just heard a sound and wanted to know what it was!" The girl exclaimed, clearly insulted I would assume so low of her.

Torrin huffed, "Well, if you're not here to hurt me, perhaps you would be so kind as to get me out of here before the other human returns."

"Oh! Sure, I'll open the door for you." The girl said, moving to leave the room.

Torrin's cheeks warmed in frustration.

"Wait!" Torrin called after her.

The girl paused, her hair flipping over her shoulder as she turned back to look at him.

She definitely wasn't hideous for a human. Torrin thought momentarily distracted.

"What's the matter?" She asked, her brows knitting together in confusion.

"I can't." Torrin grumbled at the ground, fluttering his injured wings to show the human girl.

"You can't fly?" The girl asked softly, making Torrin's cheeks blush red in shame.

The faerie huffed, blowing a piece of golden hair from his forehead. "No. I can't. Your stupid friend cut my wing."

"Oh! I'm so sorry! Will it heal?" The girl asked, carefully walking over to him.

"Yes, but I need time." Torrin said, still not looking at the girl.

"What should I do then?" The girl asked carefully.

Torrin looked from his spot on the desk and how high it was from the ground. A fall from this height would not end well for him. There was only one option, but Torrin wasn't sure if his pride would survive it.

"You will need to carry me" Torrin said finally.

The girl's eyes widened. "Oh. Alright, um...here" she said, holding her hands out flat by his feet.

Torrin cursed under his breath before carefully stepping onto the humans hands. He noticed her brief grimace when his wing brushed against her thumb.

"Well?" Torrin said after he had moved into her awaiting palm, "Let's make haste, unless you want that hideous creature to catch us." Torrin ordered, crossing his arms impatiently.

The human girl's eyes widened and he could see a retort forming on her lips, but she said nothing.

With Torrin settled in her hands, she shifted to head towards the door. They had only taken two steps before a sound resonated from somewhere up ahead. It sounded like a door opening, with loud footsteps following suit.

Torrin and the girl looked at each other with wide eyes.

The human male had returned.