Chapter 7 - Curiosity Kills

Marceline began wondering how she ever survived as a child. As days turned into weeks, she began questioning how it was possible to be this bored. Stuck in the middle of a forest there was nothing to do. No shops. No cafes. No people. No fun. She was definitely missing the bustling inner-city life.

In her boredom, she had rummaged through the entirety of her childhood home and even had time to fix up her room. She found white sheets to replace the pink ones and hung up some random paintings she found in the hall closet to add some personality to the plain white walls.

Now that she had done that, she fell into a bout of boredom that was eating her alive. Other than eating breakfast, she had spent the day lying on her bed and altering between scrolling through her phone and staring at the ceiling.

She had to do something before she lost her mind. With a long sigh, she slumped up from her spot on her bed and wandered downstairs.

"Dad?" She called as she neared the kitchen. When she noticed he wasn't there, she went to grab a Diet Coke from the fridge.

As she reached for the handle, a piece of white paper caught her eye.

Gone to store. Be back soon.
~Dad

Wish I could have gone she mumbled as she opened the door and grabbed her coke. She didn't necessarily like going grocery shopping, but she was desperate for any kind of entertainment. Cracking open her can with a loud pop and soft fizz, she walked out of the kitchen and wandered aimlessly around the house.

Taking a sip of the cool carbonated drink, she walked down the main hallway until she heard a sound that made her stop in her tracks.

Tink!

She froze.

"Dad? Is that you?" She called to the empty hallway. The answering silence made her heart race. Dad was gone, but maybe she wasn't alone.

The sound came again.

Tink!

Unprepared for the noise to come again, she dropped her coke, grimacing at the loud bang as it hit the ground. Hoping the intruder didn't hear the sound, she tip toed towards the nearest closet. Opening the door as silently as possible, she grabbed her old softball bat and with it firmly grasped in her hand, she walked toward the sound. The small tinks were like a timer counting down and increasing her anxiety.

With her nerves on overdrive, she walked down the hallway as silently as the old wooden floor would allow her. Following the sound, she soon found herself in front of a door at the end of the hall.

Her father's office.