Chapter 8

Chapter 8

My room was a slight mess.

How was I supposed to pack to be leaving for essentially 2-3 years??
What the heck was I supposed to pack anyway? I know cadets were given most of our clothes, such as uniforms, workout clothes and sleeping clothes. It's not like many of us would have time to be in civilian clothes anyway.

I tried asking Will, what to pack but of course he wasn't much help. Packing as a guy, he mentioned that he didn't really pack much when he left to the Jr. Academy. He also mentioned that there was a commissary store to buy toiletries and other things if they were needed. So to him, almost everything that was necessary was provided.

Logically this made sense. But if that was the case I needed to pack only the absolute essentials of personal items I owned to take with me...
I took a quick glance to my collection of Japanese mangas on my bookshelf.

"No! Clare, you do not need them!" I scolded myself.

I looked again.

"Well...it is good educational material for me to keep up my Japanese while away" I convinced myself.

I packed a few books since I figured the amount of time we would have free to ourselves I would rather be kept buried in a good book. Many people did not really own "real" paper books anymore. Not when you had the luxury and efficiency of electronic books anyone could access these days. However, something about the feel and smell of a real book calmed me and made the reading experience more authentic. (But hey I'm weird like that)
Movies and tablets and other personal electronic devices were most likely confiscated once we arrived on the premises anyways.

That reminded me of the line of communication to my brother and family I forgot to ask the Colonel about. I hope even though I had to use government electronic devices, I could still openly communicate with my family. It's not like I had any friends to keep in touch with anyways.

A few hours later, I was able to have everything packed. Though it didn't appear I was leaving for a minimum of two years.
I checked the clock and it was 16:00 ( 4 p.m) . I was used to military time because of my family but now realizing half the day was essentially gone made me feel a slight sense of dread.

I walked into William's room, across the hall from me. I wanted to spend as much time as possible with him before we both had to leave. While also asking him about the letters I sent him.

"Hey, are you busy?"

He looked over at me from his laptop while sitting at his desk.
"Nah, I finished packing two hours ago. I was just emailing some of my friends about me leaving tomorrow" he explained.

"I see, you wanna watch a movie downstairs before dinner?" I asked.

"Sure. You missed your big brother huh?" He smirked.

I scoffed. "Yeah, obviously. But don't test my nice attitude, bro" I retorted.

"Also I wanted to ask you about something."

"What's up" he questioned, slight concern on his face.

"Well, I wanted to know if you ever got any of my correspondence to you while you were away? I was thinking about it while packing, wondering if it would be the same since we are both going to be leaving now." I asked slightly nervous.