Chapter 9 - Sweet Mornings and Dangerous Nights

You slowly opened your eyes, the light filtering into your room making you stir. As you turned over, you were met with a face. You let out a small squeal as your eyes found a face very closer to your own. You moved backwards in your bed, pressing up against the headboard as JJ's face came into focus. Your tense body relaxed as you sighed.

"For fucks sake JJ," you hissed, slapping him on the arm as you lounged back into your warm spot under the covers, "you gave me a heart attack. What the hell are you doing watching me sleep?"

"I'm bored," he stated. You raised your eyebrows at him, "and hungry."

"You know where the kitchen is," you mumbled, turning on your side to face away from him. You heard him whine as he laid his body over yours. You groaned, dramatically coughing as if you were desperate for air.

"But pancakes taste so much better when you make them," he pouted. You turned your head towards him, an unimpressed look washed over your face. You sighed,

"Fine."

In thanks he nuzzled into your body. You could feel his nose pressed against your neck as he spooned you. You could feel butterflies in your stomach and a hot flush creeping up your neck. Before he could notice your physical reactions to him, you cleared your throat, sitting up quickly, discarding his body from yours in the process.

"Let's go then," you said quickly, gunning for the door.

You placed a fourth pancake on JJ's plate. He mumbled a small thank you through his enormous mouthful. You shook your head at him, grabbing your plate and joining him on the other side of the island. He swallowed before he spoke,

"Do you think John B will figure out what happened to the gold?"

The day previous you had taken the drone out into the water to find the Royal Merchant. And you did, but alas, it was empty. Not a single speck of shiny, life-altering gold.

"You know John B, he always figures it out."

"True," he agreed.

Your phone dinged. You picked it up from next to you to read Kie's message.

Kie 💕: pope and i are going to the outdoor theatre tonight if you want to come. i texted JJ but he didn't respond, but im assuming he's with you lol. haven't heard from jb, but lemme know (:

"Kie's just asked if we wanna go to the outdoor theatre tonight, you in?" you asked him, holding your phone up to your face as you began to type a reply.

He leant over your shoulder to read the messages, "Yeah, I'll come," he said turning back to shove food quickly into his mouth again, "weird she hasn't heard from John B."

"Yeah," you agreed, pressing send on your reply. "He's probably just chasing dead leads. He'll resurface too."

JJ nodded. He finished his last mouthful of food as your mum entered the kitchen.

"Morning kiddos,"

"Morning ma," you replied, chewing softly.

"Morning," JJ let out a yawn. Your mum chuckled as she made herself a coffee.

"Want one JJ?"

"Yes please," he answered, moving over to the bench next to where your mum stood. He pulled a mug down out of the cupboard. Your mum took it and placed it under the machine, moving to the fridge to get out her milk.

"What's got you kids so tired lately? You've been out and about all day every day!"

"You know, just busy," you said nonchalantly.