Chapter 11 - Midsummers

The sun was setting casting a hazy glow across the country club. Midsummers had officially begun. As soon as you entered the party you left your mum and David (who had already started some overly nice conversation with one of his business partners they would talk smack about over the dining room table) making a beeline for Kie who you had spotted across the lawn. You ran up behind her and grabbed her shoulders. A small squeak of surprise let her lips before she spun around to see you. A smile erupted across her face as she pulled you into a hug.

"Hey! You look hot!" she admired, holding you at arm's length. You blushed, shrugging her hands off you.

"Shut up," you mumbled, "not too shabby yourself Miss Carrera."

She pretended to flip her hair making you laugh. Over your shoulder something caught her eye. You followed her eyeline, finding Pope working on one of the BBQs. You made your way over to him.

"Excuse me, sir. Do we have to shuck these ourselves?" Kie asked in a funny British accent. You snorted as Pope raised a confused face, a smile growing across his lips, "Cause it might mess up my costume."

"We wouldn't want that now, would we?" He gave Kie a little bro handshake before you pulled him into a hug. You hadn't seen him since Shoupe nearly arrested him, so you gripped him tightly. His grip back showed you that your message had gotten through. As you pulled away you spoke,

"That accent was bad," you laughed at Kie.

"It was. I was gonna let it go," She crossed her arms turning to look around at the party, "You ever seen this many Kooks in one place?"

"Yeah, last year," Pope looked across the crowd unimpressed.

"We're in the lion's den," Kie stated.

You matched her stance, eyes surveying the overly rich and snooty people you were going to have to deal with,

"Yep."

"Hey," Pope talked cautiously, "have either of you heard from JJ."

Kie sighed, "No."

They both looked at you expectantly.

"He didn't say anything of significance. I asked him if he was fine, he said yes, but we know he isn't."

The two of them nodded. Kie noticed the look of distressed across your features and you lifted your right thumb up to your mouth, biting anxiously on the nail.

"He'll be all right," Kie said, "He's got the survival instincts of a cockroach."

"It's all my fault," Pope said solemnly.

"No, Pope," You tried to reassure him, but he kept shaking his head.

"Topper almost killed you, remember?" Kie's voice cut in. Pope looked up at her and saw her intent stare. He reluctantly nodded, before cheering started causing you all to look towards the entrance.

The Cameron family had arrived. Ward and Rose walked in, the three children following suit. Just the sight of Rafe made your blood boil. You clenched your fists, but had to release them, the tensing making the bruise he caused on your side burn.

"Here come Lord Capital and the Exploiters," Kie stated, looking disgusted.

Rose was waving across the room to your mum and David, her headdress glistening in the light.

"She's gonna poke somebody's eye out with that," Pope joked. You laughed, before speaking out of the corner of your mouth,

"I hope it's mine, then I wouldn't have to keep looking at it."