The Beginning

A/N: I know a lot of people don't read this (obviously, it sucks lmao) but anyways enjoy this piece of shît.

Oh, and also, this is  an AU, so percy and annabeth are mortals.

Percy's POV

I was so, incredibly, bored.

Though I had only been sitting in class for 10 minutes, it felt like 3 hours. The desk in the back of class wasn't near anyone, so naturally I sat there. I had already been tripped twice- just on the way to my seat. School had never been my strongest suit. Surprisingly, it was swimming. But I never swam.

You see, I had scars and bruises covering my entire body. I got more and more each day. Each one more painful than the last.

My mom (who I loved very much) and I did not have enough money to pay rent. So she got a boyfriend, which later became her husband, and my step-dad. His name is Gabe, though I nicknamed him Smelly Gabe when I was younger. He always smelled of liquor and alcohol. Every night, he drank a few bottles. That resulted in... abuse.

It started when I was eleven years old. I had just come home from school, and Gabe had just finished a bottle of beer. He asked where I had been, and if I had gotten him more alcohol. Quite obviously, I didn't bring home anything- probably because he told me not to. When he heard I hadn't brought any liquor home, he got angry and broke the glass over my shoulder. You would think it wouldn't be that bad, but it was actually quite bad and burned like hell. Since I didn't want my mom worrying, I stitched myself up- we had an arts and crafts class in school. I wrapped it in an ace bandage and told my mom it was from gym.

It proceeded to get worse.

Much, much worse.

Now, I only wore sweatshirts and jeans to school. I asked the coach to sit out in gym. I skipped out on lunch, since everyday Gabe called me fat. I slit my wrists. I got words carved into me- a different word for each day.

Fat.

Worthless.

Ugly.

Useless.

Dumb.

Stupid.

Retarded.

Slut.

The last one echoed in my head. I tried to stop the memories, but I slipped into a flashback.

~~~~~~~~~~Bob said hello to Zoë~~~~~~~~~

Annabeth

Writing my notes down in the special notebook I keep just for this class, I noticed a guy in the back corner, sitting alone. People kept taking glances at him, whispering to friends, then laughing. He was attractive, I'm not going to lie. I didn't understand why they were making fun of him- he looked so utterly sad and depressed.

I turned back to the board, continuing to copy the notes. I heard someone's breath speed up and some movement coming from the back corner. I looked back to see the same guy from before- but he had a tear-streaked face, and was muttering words to himself. I furrowed my eyebrows, wondering what could have happened to him.

"NO!" he screamed, interrupting the class. Ms. Minerva looked to him, concern flickering across her face.

"Please, please. It was an accident, I promise!" He starting getting quiet. Everybody was silently laughing. I decided to take a risk.

I stood, walking to his desk where he was gripping anything he could find. I crouched down, so he would be looking at me if his head was down- which it was. Slowly, I gently placed my hand on his arm. At first, he flinched away, but I just placed my hand back in the same spot. His beautiful, sea-green eyes were glazed over, a look of pure terror in them.