I Kissed My Best Friend

au where percy and annabeth are mortals and have tiktok so go read fuckers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was scared.

No, not like the 'oh my god there's a spider' scared, but the type of scared that makes butterflies erupt in your stomach and make you want to vomit at the same time.

Why? Well that's easy. I was going to kiss my best friend.

Okay- so maybe not so easy- but it was a good idea. I mean, I liked him. Plus, it was a tiktok trend so if he didn't like it, I could just say it was a prank.

Maybe I should introduce myself.

My name is Annabeth Chase. My father is Frederick Chase, my stepmother is Helen Chase, and I have two twin stepbrothers named Bobby and Matthew Chase. They look identical, but if you look closely, Bobby has lighter eyes and more freckles than Matthew does.

My real mother died when I was eight. My father got remarried to Helen when I was thirteen. At first, I hated her since she hated me. But after some time, she told me she only acted that way since she had always wanted a daughter and I shut her out. We were close after that.

My father has sandy blonde hair and bright blue eyes (?). I got all my looks from him, for the exception of my eyes. They were gray, just like my mothers. I also had a bit lighter, honey blonde hair. Mine was always frizzy and super curly.

Now, here's my best friend.

Although I would never say this to his face, he's hot. He denies it every time, but every girl stops to look at him. His dad died when he was six, so we sorta understood each other. He looked exactly like his dad- the same unruly jet black hair and bright sea green eyes with specks of blue. Whenever I saw a picture of his father, I always thought it was somehow an older version of himself. His mother, Sally, is basically my mother. She makes the best blue cookies.

Oh, and his name is Percy Jackson.

Actually, it's Perseus Jackson. But he hates that. He didn't talk to me for a week once just because I said his full name.

Anyways, he was going to pick my up and we were going to go to McDonald's. It was a running joke between us, since one time I was super hungry at 2a.m and he showed up at my house and took me to McDonald's. Now it's just tradition.

I watched as his car pulled up. Checking to make sure I had my phone, I walked out the door. He had his signature lopsided grin on, and was dressed in black sweatpants and a green t-shirt.

He waved, and I smiled and waved back. It was so easy to be around him. It was never awkward or anything.

I unlocked his passenger side door and slid inside, buckling my seatbelt.

"What do you want this time?" Percy asked. I usually always wanted something different every time, but I just wanted something simple.

"Six chicken nuggets and a large fry."

"Boring. Any sauce?"

"Nope," I said, popping the 'p'.

"Okie dokie, here we go," he replied, pulling up to the McDonald's.

After he ordered, I asked him if we could eat in the parking lot. He had asked why, and I rolled my eyes, saying I wanted to talk with my best friend.

We got out food, paid, and parked.

I set up my phone, saying it was for a tiktok. That was true, but he didn't know which tiktok it was.

I took a deep breath and pressed play.

His green eyes darted around the screen, watching a tiktok. The light shone off his phone, making his face look as if it were glowing.

I waited until he looked up at me, his eyes sparkling. He started to say something, but I cut him off.

By kissing him.

He was surprised at first, but he relaxed and brought his hand to my waist. I gently placed my hand on his cheek, knowing he hated sudden movement from his time with his old abusive stepfather Gabe. Our lips fit perfectly together, moving in sync.

I was so relieved, he was kissing me back. My whole body felt like it was lit up with fireworks, but I didn't care. The only thing that mattered in the world right now was Percy.

We both pulled back panting. I stared into his, and he stared into mine. I took the moment to look deeper into his face then I ever have. I noticed the spray of light freckles across his nose and cheekbones that he no doubt got from Sally. How his bright green-blue eyes had specks of emerald green and specks of deep blue. His adorable little nose that hooked up at the end and had a curve to it. His dark eyelashes that spread across his cheeks when he closed his eyes. His sharp jawline. His ears that were small for a guy but weren't too small. And finally, his lips. They were perfect. Pink, not chapped.

I noticed how he was looking at me with a spark in his eyes, but I couldn't place the emotion. He took his other hand and caressed my cheek with it.

We kissed again, and it was basically the same as before. When we pulled back, it was kind of awkward.

I cleared my throat. "So... should we eat now?"

"Way to ruin a moment, Beth," he laughed, making my insides erupt with butterflies.

Rolling my eyes, I pulled out the chicken nugget box. Percy snatched it from my hands, taking one out and feeding it to me.

The camera was still on, and I ate the chicken nugget, crossing my eyes to look at it. He laughed, the most beautiful sound ever filling my ears. I took another one and fed it to him. We chewed and laughed at the same time, nearly choking.

Swallowing, I looked at Percy, already to find him staring at me. He cupped my face and kissed me again, nice and slow, making me feel like I was on Cloud Nine. My hand wrapped around his neck, pulling him in closer. It was like a puzzle piece. We fit together perfectly.

Pulling away, I ask," So we're still just friends," I say, more as a question than a statement.

"Considering you were the one that kissed me first, I don't think you want to be 'just friends' anymore," he laughed.

And when we walked into school the following day with his arm around my shoulder, me holding it, everyone was staring at the opposing gender to them out of jealousy.