Chapter 5: The many uses of Tomatoes

Alfred sat up at the appropriate waking time, five in the morning. He had been laying rigidly on the bed, staring at the ceiling blankly. For the entirety of the night. Alfred got out of bed and put on his usual grey outfit, he just threw on whatever was clean. He then gathered all the things he would need for school today.

He then navigated the halls of the decently large school. He needed to find the cooking class as he has that first. He found a door covered with Tomatoes and a sign that said "No Eyebrow-Bastards Allowed ". Whatever that means.

He found his first class, but the class was not for another 2 hours. Guess he would have to wait.

Time skip to class time.

"All right Bastards, if you can't cook get out. I won't be dealing with people like eyebrow bastard in my class."

While some students seemed scandalized, Alfred was comparing him to the other Italian he had met. They looked almost the same but there were quite a few key differences. One, their curls were different, two their eyes were different colors, and three they act completely different.

"So, today I have decided to test your skills in the kitchen. So, I know who to kick out of my class. " Mr. Vargas said sharply

"But, you have to use tomatoes in some way because I want you bastards to get creative." Mr. Vargas chimes, pointing to a box of tomatoes.

Alfred looks around the room, various recipe ideas filtering through his head. They for some reason had a country tag with each one, though most had American and somewhere else. This caused a headache to form, for some reason whenever he thinks through recipes he gets this huge headache.

They had a surprising verity of meats, cheeses, and various other cooking ingredients. He chose a fairly simple dish. He got started on it as soon as possible, collecting the ingredients he needed. The other students took after his example and started on their dish. Mr. Vargas then turned on some distinctly Italian music, because why not. So, the class cooked and the only sound was music. However,

"What-a do you think you're a doing bringing that garbage into my classroom?!" Mr. Vargas yelled

Everyone who cared, so basically anyone who isn't Alfred, turned to look at a student with a half-opened can of canned tomatoes. The student stuttered out an answer and Mr. Vargas looked like he was about to curse them out when the door burst open. There was a blur and soon their teacher was being hugged by his brother.

"Ve~ Fratello, I sensed you needed more hug therapy!" The happy Italian squealed.

"Get off me! Don't you have a class or-a something?!" Mr. Vargas yelled

"Ve~ They finished early so I let them go! They were so happy!" The other Mr. Vargas said, yeah that's not gonna confuse anyone. Maybe we can call Southie Mr. Vargas-Carriedo.

The other Italian didn't leave and kept giving the legendary hug therapy anytime his brother looked like he was gonna snap. Alfred plates his dish, roasted parmesan chicken and tomatoes. The rest do as well with various levels of...success.

Like, I'm pretty sure tomato soup isn't supposed to be solid...or charred black. Anyway, the Italians insisted they try everything at least edible, charred tomato soup block not included, so they could decide which is best.

Wanna know something werid? Whenever Alfred goes through recipes he feels like he connects with a part of himself he doesn't remember, he gets a headache sure but he also feels more...Alive. Because of this, he had a small smile on his face as he placed his dish with the others.

The other students looked at him like he was gonna start WW3, they had never seen him smile in the one day they've known him. Alfred sat back down in his seat and slowly goes back to nothingness. The last bits of liveliness draining from his body as he wasn't connected to that part of himself.

The Italians meanwhile, started on the food. Wanting to see which tasted the best. They either gagged, shrugged, or had just stars in their eyes. When they got to Alfred's, they got smacked in the face with flavor. Alfred poured most of that alive feeling into the dish so, it was Magnifique.

The Italians ate the chicken and tomatoes with just pure joy on their face. Alfred, well he was just staring at the wall blankly again. Back to lifeless and dullness apparently. The other students were chatting lowly among themselves. 

"Okay listen up, we have-a decided which we like best. "Mr. Vargas said grumpily

"Ve~ we liked the chicken and tomato dish thing." The other Mr.Vargas said happily

"Roasted parmesan chicken with tomatoes?" Alfred said blandly

The two Italians looked at him with recognition, the picture from last night's meeting did not do justice to how dead inside the American truly looked. Northie knew him from lunch the other day, he frowned slightly. Southie only knew him from the picture. 

"So, this is him?"Southie whispered softly and Northie nodded.

"Sì" Northie than said, answering the American.

Alfred's expression didn't change, he just nodded in acknowledgment of this. The other students looked at him like he was insane, he was doing some serious sh-tuff over here. Like, holy shirt can you be bad at something other than expressing your emotions?

After that, the class was dismissed. Alfred packed up and started to head to the Information technology room because that's his next class with Mr. Honda.  The two Italian brothers started talking to each other, about this new development. They, however, hadn't noticed the small smile on his face earlier. 

"Ve~He is so scary..." North Italy says

"He is just emotionless idiota, not scary." South Italy says, though not convincingly since he was shaking. "Don't you have a class to get to or something?"

"OH!" Northie said before bouncing out of the room. Southie just shook his head affectionately, he does love his brother even if he doesn't show it.

A/N- So, a nice person asked me to update and I'm like. Oh right, this story exists lol. So, as I told them, I finished by the end of the week! Thanks to the amazing woodsnstuff for helping me decide on the recipe that Alfred used. Also, I suck at writing the Italies so sorry.

What is editing?

Au revoir!