Chapter II

Chapter II

flashbacks - a large bunny - water bottles - breakfast - and a date (?)

▬▬▬▬▬

Maya was at the Matthews' apartment, in Riley's room. Riley skipped up from behind her.

"How do I look?" She asked, twirling around in her floral dress and jean jacket.

"You look amazing, honey." Maya smiled widely at her best friend. "Lucas is going to love it."

Riley grinned at her. "You look amazing too, Peaches," She commented, practically pushing Maya in front a floor length mirror. With partially braided hair and a little black dress that she'd picked out the week before, Maya had certainly outdone herself for this particular party.

"I can't believe you're turning seventeen, Maya!" Riley squealed suddenly, wrapping her arms around her best friend. Maya returned the hug. "It's not that important of a birthday, actually. Eighteen is the big one, isn't it?" She mumbled into Riley's hair.

Riley pulled away, looking at her slyly. "It definitely is for you and Uncle Josh, anyway. You know, 'someday'?"

Maya laughed. "I do know." She glanced at Riley's bubblegum pink clock. "We should go though, otherwise we're going to be late."

Riley raised an eyebrow at her. "Since when do you care about being on time?"

Maya shrugged, turning to look out the bay window. "Since when have I been predictable?"

A distant knock was heard. "That must be Uncle Josh." Riley stated, grabbing the bright purple handbag that had been resting on her dresser. "He's coming over for dinner tonight."

Maya shrugged. "I guess we'll see him on the way out." Pulling Riley with her by the hand, Maya made her way into the living room. As they passed the kitchen, Mr. and Mrs. Matthews exchanged a look. Usually, Maya knew what their 'looks' meant- but for once, she was clueless.

She grabbed the handle of the front door and yanked it open.

"Josh." She said, letting go of Riley subconsciously. He was wearing the same jacket he had worn when she and Riley had snuck out to NYU.

"Happy birthday, Hart." Maya felt his eyes quickly sweep over her body before returning to her face, but she was by no means bothered by it. If anything, she felt just the tiniest bit proud that she had attracted his attention. It was a more vulnerable thought that strayed very far away from her outward self, but she couldn't find it in herself to care.

"Hart?" She questioned, unable to stifle her grin. Her smile had nothing to do with her nickname, and everything to do with him.

"You've called me by my last name, so I thought I'd return the favor." He replied nonchalantly. His cool demeanor was easily broken by Maya's smile. "You look gorgeous, by the way."

Maya smiled, leaning against the doorway. "So I've been told."

They were abruptly swept out of their little world when Riley groaned from behind them, dragging Maya out the door and past Josh. "Quit flirting, we have places to be!"