Chapter VIII

Chapter VIII

suburban bliss - not so solo cup - the edge - counting!

▬▬▬▬▬

It had been two weeks since Maya had last talked to Josh. She actively avoided him- not that he'd made any real effort to get her to notice him. She didn't mind. It was easier this way. No conversations, no feelings, no hands brushing under the table. It was a good thing.

Normally, she would've endured some good old-fashioned nagging from Riley, but her engagement party was taking up most of her time. Topanga, on the other hand, seemed like she was beginning to notice.

Who was she kidding? Of course Topanga had noticed. Topanga noticed everything.

More recently, Maya had been focusing her attention on her family. Her mother was ready to have her baby brother any day now, and Maya was excited, to say the least.

Maya walked out of her room at her parents', kissing her father on the cheek. "Bye, Dad."

Shawn turned, pausing dinner preparations. "Bye, Maya. Have fun, and tell Riley that we're sorry that we can't make it." He smiled before turning back to the cutting board.

"I will. Are you sure you can take care of both Bunny and Mom?" She glanced at the dog, who was chewing a stuffed penguin on the floor. Bunny eyed her curiously as he heard his name, though he diligently kept at the penguin.

"Of course. Bunny is the most polite houseguest we've ever had." She smiled before walking into the master bedroom. Leaning against the door, she called out to her mother. "Mom?"

Katy paused the TV, leaving Kim Kardashian posed in mid-fury at one of the other ones. To be honest, Maya wasn't really keeping track. "Yes, baby girl?"

"I just wanted to say bye. I'm heading over to Riley's engagement party." Maya moved from her spot at the doorway as her mother motioned for her to take a seat on the bed.

"So," Katy whispered secretively, a grin spreading across her face. "Are you going to have your 'conversation' with Josh?"

Maya jumped back, horrified. "Mom!" She was strongly reminded of the day her mother had come in to school for that parents thing- a day late. "Who even told you about that?"

Katy laughed at her. "Come on, Maya, everyone knows that you've been avoiding him." Maya sighed heavily, not very amused.

"Mom..."

"What?" Katy quirked an eyebrow at her hesitance.

"I'm just going for Lucas and Riley." Maya lied not-so-smoothly, wincing at herself. Not that she practiced, but Maya's lying wasn't usually so... pathetic, for lack of a better word.

To her relief, Katy said nothing. It was apparent that she'd heard her though, and Maya knew that it would be brought up again. "Okay. Bye, baby girl."

"Bye, Mom." Maya smiled at her mother before grabbing her phone and walking out the door.

The door closed with a satisfactory click, and Maya paused on the welcome mat to take in her surroundings. The yard was abuzz with the chirping of a variety of insects that Maya was not ready to get acquainted with. An ancient oak tree loomed steadily over the cobbled path to the door. It was a drastic change from the middle of New York City, where any insects were drowned out by taxicabs, but it would be a great place to grow up.

She wanted that for her little brother.

As her Uber pulled up, Maya put away any lingering thoughts about Josh in exchange for dreams about meeting her new sibling.