Chapter 3

But of course, winning the King's favor was not that easy. Most of the participants gave up even before the actual battle began. First, the participants must be a male. Second, they must prove their worth by giving the most vital contribution to the kingdom. The real challenge is that, one has to find out which exactly is the most vital thing that the kingdom needs to prosper. After doing so, participants will present their work not only to the King, but to the whole kingdom of Aegelian and the results will be processed based on the votes given by the whole kingdom. Forty percent of the vote will come from the king himself, thirty percent from the nobles and thirty percent from the commoners. Each were only given a month to finish the test.

Four victors won the first round. Earl Ribicus Douglass who was known to have a kind heart contributed housing projects for the homeless. Viscount Cerez Schmidt passed his contribution for the advanced sanitation project to avoid future diseases from spreading in the whole kingdom. Prince Skyrux, who served the platform of advanced education to gather manpower for proper circulation of money in the entire kingdom and last but not the least, Duke Liou who strengthened the kingdom's military defense by entering a peace and alliance treaty with the eastern Kingdom of Boullevia. Each of them successfully implemented those contributions within a month. But that was not the King's final test.

Aegelian Kingdom was threatened by the opposing kingdoms of Lualthian and Fribarro since the uproar of the news regarding the absence of the heir. Both of these kingdoms were known to be powerful and were entitled as Kingdom Slayers since they had already conquered a lot of kingdoms. These kingdoms took advantage of the fact that Aegelian has no heir that's why the kingdom is in great peril. Also because of this, the wise King has arrived to his decision regarding the final test.

The one who vanquishes the invading enemies shall be declared as the legal heir to the throne.

Everyone rejoiced when Skyrux De Aegelian came back as the victor who defeated the invaders. All the sorrows went to the other candidates who passed away during the war including the Duke which caused gossips in the whole kingdom. They never thought that the leader of the entire kingdom's military will die in such agonizing battle. But the all of them were not yet prepared for the upcoming event that changed the history of the whole Aegelian Kingdom.

During the coronation of Prince Skyrux, a familiar man barged in and interrupted the sacred ceremony by throwing the head of a dead man in the middle of the aisle. It was the head of Brutus Hevio Fribarro... the King of Fribarro Kingdom, one of the masterminds of the recent invasion.

The palace was filled by gasps and terrified screams upon the sight of the bloody head that's on the floor and by the sight of the man who interrupted the coronation. It was none other than the Duke who was said to be dead by the envoy of the crowned prince. At that moment, the huge truth was revealed.

Prince Skyrux sold the Aegelian kingdom to Lualthian and Fribarro by providing them an annual income tax that was and will be collected from Aegelian stock income. He also surrendered most of the Aegelian properties including some of the lands and lead his comrades straight to their death as an exchange of his right to remain as the legal heir to the throne without any obstacle with the support of the dominating kingdoms. At that very night, everyone was already certain that Duke Liou Deuz Lavaliere will inherit the throne. The one and only true victor.

Prince Skyrux was arrested for treason and even before the King was able to give his choice of punishment, his terrible illness that has been present for a long time caused his unexpected death.

Liou Deuz Lavaliere De Aegelian was hailed as the new king of Aegelian Kingdom and he inherited the royalty's name. The traitor was left under his care. It was also revealed soon that the prince did not planned this treason alone, there are huge names behind him who supported him including the youngest daughter of his trusted Marquess, Lady Marianne Cervantes who is currently the Prince's fiancée.

All of the names included with the treason was tortured in the prison for a year before being executed under the order of the new King.

Six months after his enthronement, he wedded the eldest daughter of the famous and wealthy merchant of the western country of Lordeville, Lavinia Renezmi who soon became Queen Lavinia Renezmi De Aegelian.

Years later, Liou Deuz Lavaliere De Aegelian rose as a cold blooded, ferocious and a tyrant King whom everyone feared just by hearing his name. He successfully conquered twelve kingdoms and founded the Aegelian Empire out of his tremendous power. He was called by many names such as The Great Conqueror, The God of Death, God of Destruction, Soul Eater and The Grim Reaper. He had many concubines and his empire lasted for hundreds of generations.