Bonus Chapter - Jake

Jake woke up the morning after Michelle had left for the ski trip, and found the house to be completely quiet. He was the only one in the house, as their Mum had to leave for an early business meeting, so the only sounds he could hear were ones of his own making. He had woken up half an hour earlier than usual, so he went out to the living room to watch some TV. While watching some cartoons, his phone buzzed, which was on the couch beside him. He glanced down and picked it up, opening his phone to see who messaged him.

"Hey, still on for walking this morning?" It was from his best friend Nick. Usually Jake walked to school with Michelle, but since she wasn't going to be there for the last few days, Nick had offered to walk with him and keep him company. Jake felt a small smile crawl onto his face as he texted back. "Definitely. Meet you outside my place in a bit."

Once he stopped watching TV and had some cereal for breakfast, he gathered his stuff he needed for school that day, stuffing them in his backpack, and changed into some jeans and a plain blue T-shirt with a black zip-up hoodie. As he was going out the door, he grabbed his basketball and checked to make sure he had his keys, before leaving the apartment and locking the door behind him. Jake didn't know why he felt so excited to walk with Nick to school, as they had done it before, but he was. By the time he made it downstairs, Nick was already waiting for him.

"Morning!" Jake said cheerfully as he stopped beside his friend. Nick's short light brown hair was parted to the left like usual, some of his fringe covering his forehead, nearly hiding one of his hazel eyes. He was wearing a simple grey hoodie and black jeans. He looks nice this morning. Simple, but nice. Nick smiled at him as well, "Hey. Oh cool! You grabbed your basketball!" Jake looked down to the ball that was tucked under his arm. "Yeah, I thought we could play a bit at school today." Nick nodded and they started walking down the usual route Jake took to get to school.

The two boys chatted happily as they walked. At one point a car zoomed past them, and when Jake turned to look, he could see that Nick's nose and ears were incredibly pink against his pale skin. "It's cold this morning, isn't it?" Jake said, figuring that was reason behind it. Nick nodded and removed his hands from his pockets, placing them around his ears. It's probably colder in Utah, where Mitchie and Peter are at the moment. I wonder how they're doing? Hopefully I could talk to Peter soon! ...and Mitchie, obviously... "You look cold," Jake said. Nick nodded again, "Yeah, it's not too bad though." Jake turned to look at him again, "If you're cold why don't you put your hood on?"

Nick sent him a confused expression for a moment, before seeming to remember that he was wearing a hoodie, "...Oh yeah, good idea." Jake laughed lightly to himself before continuing their conversation on the next NBA game for that year. Soon they had made it to their middle school and went to the indoor gym so they could practice basketball a little before their first class. Nick, who was the taller of the too, started by shooting a couple times while Jake tied his shoelaces, as he often forgot to tie them in the morning.

As Nick sunk another basket, Jake stared at him. "You know, one day I'll be taller than you," Jake said before coming up and grabbing the ball as it bounced on the ground. Nick laughed, "Yeah, that's likely." Jake glared at him, "Just because you've had growth spurts, it doesn't mean you'll keep getting them. I'll have mine soon and you already know how tall Mitchie is. I'll be taller than the both of you!" Nick smiled at him, and after a moment Jake couldn't keep serious anymore, dropping his glare and smiling back. The two of them laughed it off before they started properly playing.

As Nick sunk a particularly impressive shot, Jake couldn't help but stare wide eyed at him. Wow he's gotten pretty good at this. Jake's heart was beating quickly, which he brushed off as resulting from him jumping and running around. When they finished and started to head off to class, Nick turned to him as he passed the ball back to Jake, "Want to play again during recess?" Jake smiled widely at him, his heartbeat speeding up in excitement, "Absolutely I do!" Jake watched Nick's expression with curiosity, "Are you cold again?" Jake asked. Nick turned to him, "Huh?" Jake repeated his question, "Are you cold? Your cheeks are all red." Nick quickly looked away from him and nodded, pulling his hood over his head again, "Uh, yeah. Just cold. I'll see you later!" Nick said quickly. Jake waved to him as he jogged off to his class, "Bye!"

A/N – Hey guys! Hope you all enjoyed this little bonus chapter I thought of. I really wanted to write another bonus chapter for Jake, because you all seem to really like him, and I think we all appreciate some good Jake content.

I wanted to do something simple, just showing off a little of Jake's personal life and his friendship with Nick. What did you guys think?

Let me know if there are any other characters you all want to see a bonus chapter from.

Some of you may have seen the announcement I made, but I haven't been able to release this sooner because a family member of mine suddenly had to go to hospital. It wasn't because of COVID, don't worry, (actually we've got practically no new cases here in Australia anymore, we did pretty good of stopping it).
They are out of hospital now, and I have been helping look after them, hence why I wasn't able to update.

Anyway, vote if you enjoyed the chapter, comment your thoughts and follow me for updates!!