Think Fast

Monday came as quick as a heartbeat.

"I gave you a spare key last night in case you want to step out and go somewhere," Dream said, pacing around his living room while Sapnap and George watched in concern. "I work from nine to five on weekdays, so I should be able to see you off back to college. You can help yourself to anything in the fridge. You can go into my room and use anything on my computer, but don't go into the files. When you leave the house, make sure to lock the door behind you. If you want—"

"Okay, Dream, I get it," Sapnap said. "Just go to work, okay? I'll text you if I burn anything down."

"If you burn my apartment down, you're paying for it."

"Ouch. I'm on a student budget, man, my wallet is crying already."

"Easy solution: just don't burn it down."

"Steep promise to make, but sure."

"Just throw me my keys, will you?"

Sapnap felt around the counter behind him, wrapped his fingers around an apple, and tossed it towards him.

Dream froze. Time slowed to a stop, and there were three things he noted: One, an apple was a hard, dense object. Two, his face, while protected by a skull, couldn't handle being hit very well. Three, an apple was coming straight for his face and he wouldn't be able to move in time.

"No!" came a shout before he was pushed to the side and sent scrambling to catch his balance. The apple went rolling to the wall and bounced off, forgotten.

Dream's eyes were wide and his heart pounded. His gaze was trained directly on George, who glared back at him.

"That thing was headed straight for your head," George spat, arms crossed. "Were you really just gonna stand there and take an apple to the head? You absolute idiot. Do all your reflexes go into playing Minecraft?"

Then a third voice said, "Um... you good there, Dream?"

Oh, shit. Sapnap was still there.

Dream whipped his head towards Sapnap and said, "Those weren't my keys."

"Yeah, I thought I would just give you some breakfast on the go, but that didn't go as well as I expected." Sapnap turned his head to take a good look at the counter, then tossed him his actual keys gently. "Sorry, man. I didn't know there'd be so much force put into that."

Dream bent down to pick up the apple and shot him a smile. "No worries, I know you didn't mean to. Unless you intended to assassinate me."

"Assassinate? You're not nearly important enough for that word to be used."

"Wow, thanks."

"You're welcome." Sapnap frowned. "But seriously, sorry about that. Let me buy you dinner later."

"It's okay, you didn't—"

"What was that? I can buy you dinner? Okay, cool, see you later."

Dream glanced down at his watch. He had to leave. He sighed, waved a goodbye to Sapnap and started speed-walking after closing the door behind him.

"You're literally so bad at staying alive," George said.

Dream rolled his eyes. "Dude, it was an apple. Did you really have to step in?"

"Well, I don't want you to get hurt. That could've given you a nasty bruise."

"But it wouldn't have killed me."

"Maybe it would have. You don't know. You're not the one with supernatural future-seeing powers."

"Are you?"