Chapter 4

readers note: ahh thank you so much for all the reads! we're almost at 100 :) make sure you vote too! i love you <3

+++

His steel grey eyes stare into mine and I feel breathless.

"Listen up!" He calls, his voice deep and commanding, and only as he moves to step off the ledge he was so precariously standing on does he look away from me.

Air finally renters my lungs and I vaguely here someone beside me speak but I pay them no mind as I push myself further forward in the group of initiates. My skirt gets stepped on once or twice and I only stop to fix it when I am nearly at the front.

"My name is Eric and I'm one of the leaders here at Dauntless. We commend you on your bravery thus far, but the real work has yet to begin. To join us you first have to jump."

A hand grips my elbow slightly and I face my Dauntless-born friend, "I'm starting to think they made this process just for you." I smile, thinking about how he may be correct, fantasizing about the feeling of the wind surrounding me again.

"Is there water at the bottom or something?" An Erudite asks from my left, his hair is a brassy red sporting a few small pieces of rock stuck in it from his landing.

Eric merely shrugs, his toned shoulders raising slightly with the movement. "Jump and find out."

This seems to send a collective chill down everyone's spine, creating a stunned silence throughout the group.

"Well?" The leader questions forcefully, "Who's first?"

Again, he's met with silence and I'm made to question my sanity as I raise my hand, speaking up.

"Me. I'll go."

He raises his eyebrows in both confusion and what seems like a taunt. Whispers break out in the group as they come to find me as I step away from the crowd. My red and yellow clothing making me stand out strangely.

"An Amity?" Eric asks, knowing full well that's what I am. Or at least what I was.

I nod, finally making it to the edge of the building, looking over with my hands pressed to the brick. A black void meets me, making my palms become slick.

"Are you scared, Sunshine?" A candor from the far back of the group calls out causing a few people to laugh. It makes my blood boil and forces my body to climb onto the ledge despite my fear, not wanting them to see me falter.

"Today, initiate." Eric says, and I can't tell what lays beneath his stare but it's anything but the boredom he seems to portray in his tone.

I put my back to the hole and fully face the group before me.

"Hey, Candor?" I speak, watching as the boy takes a few steps towards me in answer, his face becoming clear as he stands at the far front of the group. A smirk drags at my lips.

As we make eye contact I begin searching for something in the fabric of my skirt.

"Can you hold this for me?" I ask, the meek girl they assume I am.

He chuckles but even his laugh seems laced with anger and disgust. "Sure thing, Sunshine."

Eric growls to my left and I can tell he's quickly getting tired of both of us.

"Oh, here it is." I call out, my tone too cheerful for my liking. I lift my hand from the red fabric of my skirt and pull up my hand, my middle finger raised.