Chapter 5: day two of training

I was having a restless night of sleep. I looked at the time. One in the morning. I decided to sneak onto the roof. I threw on a sweatshirt and a pair of sweats and headed up.

I sat kn the edge of the roof and stared off into the brightly lit capital. It was actually quite beautiful. What they do is despicable, but where they live is amazing.

"Hey," a deep voice said behind me.

"Top of the morning Two," I said with a smile.

He lightly laughed and sat beside me. We sat in a comfortable silence for a minute. Just taking in the beauty of the night.

"Why are you up?" He asked looking at me.

"Couldnt sleep. Restless night. What about you?" I asked, turning to stare into his blue eyes.

"Didnt like my dreams," he said, almost in a growl.

"What are they about?" I asked him.

"Nothing," he mumbled.

"Nightmares. Bring out your worst fears. Or memories," I said thinking of the many I've had.

"What would you know about them?" He asked.

"My father died in a mine explosion. I was there. I saw him die. I got lucky. Then I went home and almost starved to death," I told him holding in my tears.

"I'm sorry Jasmine," he said gripping my hand.

"Shit happens. What's in yours?" I ask.

"My dad. Not always the nicest man. Always wanted me here," he mumbled looking into the city.

"Such a great honor. Out living twenty three poor kids. Living with the guilt and ptsd," I said staring at him.

"That's what my dad believes," he said looking down.

"Your mom?"

"Wouldnt dare say anything. Dont want any bruises," he mumbled.

I stopped for a minute. Then I leaned over and pulled him into me. I put his head on my sholder and my head on his.

"Such an awful place but its filled with such beauty," I though allowed.

"Not as much as you," cato whispered.

"I'm not beautiful," I said.

"To me you are," he said putting his arm around me.

We sat in each others arms until the sun started to rise.

"Good luck two," I said standing up.

"Same to you twelve," he said also standing.

We walked back down the stairs. We stared at eachother waiting for the other to move. He leaned his head in and pressed his lips to my forehead. They lingered for a few seconds to long for it to be friendly.

"Thank you for staying with me," he whispered in my ear.

"Of course," I said giving him quick hug and walking down to my room.

I snuck into my room and got about two more hours of sleep before effie came to wake me. I went to take a shower to wake me up. I got out and braided my hair like yesterday. Then I out on today's training outfit. Today was the last day of training.

I ate a small bit of breakfast before heading down to the training room.

"Hey Thresh!" I said sitting next to him.

"Jasmine," he said. He doesnt talk alot.

"What do you want to work on today?" I asked him.

"Let's go with finding the poisonous berries, " he said and I nodded to agree.

Me and him walked over and took turns playing the almost game like simulator. After we did that a few times we decided to try some camouflage.  I suck at it, incase you were wondering. It's fine. So does thresh.

"Twos staring," he told me.

"Yeah, he does that. If I'm not back in twenty minutes I'm dead," I said amd walked over to him.

"I have a feeling we havent seen your true strength," he told me.

"Maybe, pretty boy. Maybe not, " I told him with a smirk.

"Oh, so I'm pretty," he said.

"Pretty annoying," I laughed grabbing his knife.

"And pretty ignorant, " i laughed and light threw it behind my back hitting the dummy.

I didnt turn to see the look on his face. I just saw thresh's shocked expression. Most people didn't notice though.

"How?" He asked as we went to the water purifying section.

"Hunt or die," was I all said.

"I get that," he answered and we did different things to purify our water.

We worked together all day. We had a really strong alliance, and terrifyingly a friendship.

"I'm scared," I told him hanging out outside of the the elevator.

"Me too," he answered.

We sat there in silence until he got up to hide in his room. I felt a figure slide down next to me.

"Hello two," I said nonchalantly.

"You ready for tomorrow?" He asks with a smirk on his face.

"Duh. I bet I get a high score then you," I told him matching his smirk.

"If you do maybe I'll do this again," he said.

"Do wha-" I was cut off by his lips on mine.

I quickly returned the favor and kissed him back. I felt Sparks fly around me. If course, I meet my souldmate and I have to kill him.

He pulls away and smirk at me.

"Bye Twelve," he leaves me to sit in confusion before I decided to head up and go to bed early. After all, tomorrow is a big day.