vii. The Boy Who Cried Wolf

✧ ೃ༄*ੈ✩ ━━ 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐒𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧:

     Talia finds herself searching for another bottle of Xanax

     Talia finds herself searching for another bottle of Xanax. Briefly skimming over the warning label of the vial, she scoffs under her breath incoherently when the writing prefaces the risk of addiction and lists the symptoms of withdrawal. Slurred speech, tremors, night sweats, self-harm, possibly death in regards to overdosing.

     She catches her reflection in the bathroom mirror. Pale skinned, jaundiced of sorts, exhausted, red eyes: she thinks she resembles a corpse more than a living, breathing, highly functioning human being. She looks like her mother. Not in the respects of sharing facial features, but more so that they both look depressed, close-to-ending-it-all, broken, and too tired to continue forward.

     Talia wonders how her mother is. Months in the rehab and no word from either the recovery center or her mother herself. Is Tammy even alive? Probably not, at this point.

     The brunette shakes three whole pills onto her palm. The pills are blocky and large. Maybe she'll choke while swallowing them dry. Maybe that's a good thing. Talia drops the medicine in her mouth, taking them after a bitter taste disperses around her mouth.

     Ten pills in two days, and Talia has no motivation to lessen her load. Hell, Tammy has months— years even— of prescription drugs stocked around the house. The second Talia runs out of Xanax, off to the next sedative. Hopefully, it won't be as bitter on the taste buds.

     Twenty minutes later, and Talia feels the medication finally doing its job. Twenty minutes later, and Talia pushes open the doors of Mystic Falls High School. The second Elena lays her eyes on Talia, Elena throws her backpack around her shoulder, slams her locker door shut (leaving an incredibly confused Matt pining after her like a lost puppy dog), and clasps onto Talia's forearm before she can disappear into the labyrinth of their school hallways. 

     "Lia. Did you get my text message?" Elena inquires, staring down at Talia's bloodshot, dilated eyes.

     Talia shakes her arm away from Elena's, somewhat nodding at her question. She strolls over to her locker, 1263, and puts in the combination. Twisting the lock open, Talia grabs her French and Psychology textbooks from the inside compartments, and says, "I did. You said you needed to talk to me about something. What's up?"