chapter two

a hogwart's student

it's eleven am on july 31st when an owl arrives at the potter's home

it's eleven am on july 31st when an owl arrives at the potter's home. now this is no ordinary owl, in fact the anticipation for said owl almost warranted a welcome parade as this owl held a very special letter for a special girl. 

"dahlia, mail's here," lily called out to her daughter as she gently took the letter from the owl's talons.

crashing erupted as dahlia fell from trying to rush down the stairs, she moaned as she fell flat on her butt. meanwhile, her father, the traitor, laughed at her misfortune, offering her a hand as she pouted.

"oh go ahead and laugh," she said as she narrowed her eyes at him, "but next time that mum locks you out for annoying her, i won't let you back in."

knowing the threat that was being presented, james quickly sobered up and quickly changed the subject. "ok, ok," he said. "don't you want to know what the owl brought," he asked knowing his daughter was rushing for that same reason.

dahlia's eyes widened as she remembered the reason as to why she crashed down the stairs. quickly, she picked herself up and rushed towards the kitchen. once she got there, she ran towards the owl, picking up the letter that was being offered to her as the owl settled in the kitchen.

finally, she thought looking down at the letter in her hands, my hogwarts letter

dahlia was entranced looking at the fancy seal. in fact she was staring at it so long that her father decided to take matters into his own hands. "well prongslette," he started, "are you just gonna look at it or are you gonna open it?" james lifted up his left brow as he stared at his daughter.

dahlia startled, so entranced with the letter that she lost track of her sorroundings. constant vigilance, she thought thinking of her fathers old auror mentor. in response towards her fathers question, she quickly tore open the seal and took the letter out of the envelope.

"well go on," her mum encouraged. "read it."

dahlia took a breath and started, "dear ms. potter, we are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry." dahlia squealed as she read her acceptance. "i got in," she said excitedly towards her parents.

"of course you got in," james said, "what did you think it was going to be a rejection letter?"

ignoring her father, dahlia continued reading her letter, "please find enclosed a list  of all necessary books and equipment. term begins on. we await your owl by no later than 31 july. yours sincerely, minerva mcgonagall."

at the last part, james' eyes lit up, "good ol minnie," he said thinking about his old head of house. snapping out of his old thoughts he turned back towards his daughter, "well aren't you going to give the owl your response."

her fathers words made dahlia start working, dropping her hogwarts letter and rushing around trying to find some parchment to write her response.

as she left the kitchen in a hurry trying to find her writing supplies, lily turned towards her husband. "she grew up so fast," she said with a frown. "we won't see her until the holidays," she stated sadly.

"oh cheer up lilypad," james used the old nickname in hopes of making his wife snap out of her mood. "she'll still write to us," he said. "and if worst comes to worst i'm sure we can make it so the potions position is open," he chuckled knowing exactly who was teaching potions at hogwarts. "i'm sure he wouldn't mind getting the chance to leave a position filled with 'dunderheads' as he so nicely put it."

"oh shut it james," she said without any bite. "i don't think it'll go that far." she picked herself up as she looked at the equipment list. "looks like we'll be paying a visit to diagon alley soon."