Chapter One: Attacked in the Night.

11:30 pm
Y/N's POV

"Y/N, I really think you should stay here tonight." My best friend, Abigail, said, looking worried. "It's almost midnight."

I smiled at her as I put my jacket on.

"I'll be alright, Abby." I told her. "Besides, I have a shift at the bar tomorrow. And Mac will kill me if I call out. So I kind of have to go home."

"It's not that." She said. "It's just that, well, you know."

The smile slowly fell from my face. I did know. Of course I knew what, or who, she was talking about.

I lived in an apartment with my boyfriend, Aaron, who was possessive, an alcoholic, and abusive. Abigail was the only one who knew about the things he did to me. At this point, I tried to stay away from the apartment as much as possible, only going back late at night, when he was usually passed out from drinking throughout the day. He's always assumed that I'm working double shifts. He doesn't know that I go to Abigail's house every day when I get off work. I know that if he ever found out that I was disobeying his orders to cut friends and family from my life, he would kill me. Literally.

I brought myself back to reality and forced a smile onto my face.

"I think I can handle him." I told her. "He's probably passed out anyway."

"But what if he's not?" She stated, trying to reason with me. "Seriously Y/N, you need to leave him!"

"You know what he'll do to me if I do that." I said, trying to get her to understand my situation. "Look, like you said, it's getting late. I really need to get home."

She nodded, giving up for now. But I knew that this conversation wasn't over.

We hugged each other tightly. Then, I opened the door and started my walk home.

---------------------------
15 minutes later
---------------------------

I was just a couple blocks from home, when I started to feel like I was being watched.

I looked around me, seeing no one. But I reached into my bag and pulled out a pocket knife in case I needed to defend myself.

After about a minute though, I heard footsteps behind me. I slowly looked over my shoulder, and saw someone following me. A dark figure who wasn't there before.

I started walking faster, only to look behind me again and see that he was walking faster too. In fact, he was getting really close.

I started running. He, I was assuming that it was a guy, started running after me.

I didn't want to lead him to my apartment, so I turned a corner about a block away from it. I looked over my shoulder again. He was gone. It was like he vanished into thin air.

I slowed to a stop in front of an alleyway so I could catch my breath, when someone grabbed me, pulling me into the alley. It was the same guy. I tried to escape from his arms, which were tightly wrapped around my waist, but with every move I made, he seemed to tighten his grip on me.

"Why hello, miss Y/N." He said with a creepy grin, making me stop struggling. "You thought you could get away from me, didn't you?"

"H-How do you know my name?" I said, almost whispering.

"Well, my dear, I've been watching you for quite some time." He said. "When I caught your scent as I passed by you on the street a week ago, I knew I had to find out who you were. So I asked people close to you. I know where you live, where you work, and I know where you spend your time after you leave the bar. I also know why you avoid going home."