Chapter 3: Nightmares.

8:00 am
Y/N's POV:

I had slept fitfully last night after Carlisle put a brace around my broken leg and had stitched up my arm, not because of the pain, but because I was having nightmares about what had happened to me earlier in the evening with the two vampires that attacked me.

(Flashback)

Edward had carried me to his room in the house after Carlisle had finished with me. I was surprised to find out that he didn't sleep in a coffin, and that he didn't, well, more like he couldn't, sleep at all.

"I'm sorry there's not an actual bed." He said with a small smile as he set me down gently on the couch. "If I'm being honest, we weren't really expecting guests."

"Oh, it's fine." I replied, completely understanding. "To be honest, I wasn't expecting anything that happened tonight to happen. I'm glad you saved me. "

He chuckled.

"Well, it was my pleasure." He said as he went to the closet and pulled out a blanket and pillow for me. I looked at him, confused.

"If you don't sleep, why do you have pillows and blankets?" I asked.

"Well, we have to seem as human as possible. No human in this town, except you, knows that we're vampires." He told me. "And we'd like to keep it that way. Otherwise, the Volturi will have to intervene if our secret gets out. Which will mean countless humans slaughtered, and we would be destroyed."

"Just so you know, I'd never tell anyone. Besides, no one would probably believe me anyways." I reassured him. "If you don't mind me asking, who or what is the Volturi?"

"The Volturi are a powerful group of vampires that are basically the equivalent of royalty in our world." He replied. "I'll tell you more in the morning, after you wake up. You need your sleep."

I sighed, I wanted to know more, but since he mentioned sleep, I suddenly felt worn out and tired.

"Fair enough." I said, letting out a yawn. I laid back, after Edward placed the pillow behind me, and positioned myself on the couch so I wouldn't wake up in pain. Edward put the blanket over me.

"If you need anything at all, just let me know." He told me. "I'll bring you your crutches shortly. Goodnight. Sleep well."

"Thank you, Edward." I replied sleepily. "For everything."

He grinned as he turned off the light, closing the door as he left the room, although I had a feeling that he wouldn't be going too far just in case that female vampire came back. I closed my eyes and fell asleep to the sound of the rain falling outside.

........

I woke up with a start, seeing Edward standing over me.

"Edward, is everything okay?" I asked, but he didn't respond, he only stood there, staring at me.

I tried getting up from the couch, but found I couldn't move. I realized that I was tied up.

After about a minute, Edward moved off to the side, revealing the female vampire and her dead mate. Although, he didn't look very dead this time.

"Edward, what are they doing here?!" I asked, starting to panic. I tried struggling to free myself, but the ropes were too tight. "Help me, please!"

"He can't hear you, Y/N." The female said. "He's under our control."

"W-What did you do to him?" I asked them, my voice just above a whisper.