The First Day

I wake up hours earlier than I have to, the sun shines through the cracks in my blinds, making little strips of sun dance on my bedroom floor. The sun is a golden orange. It must be around 5 AM. whether it's because of excitement or because of routine, I can't fall back asleep.

I decide to get up and get ready for the day. I put on a long dark green dress and walk to my bathroom to put my hair in a neat bun. When I'm satisfied with how I look I get some tea and sit on my balcony. I think about the boy...Lee, and about how he helped me last night. Why would he help me? I thought he hated me. I watch the sunrise and walk to the tea shop. I go around to the back door and knock. After a few seconds of waiting, I'm met by the happy smile of Mushi.

"Well good morning, you're here just in time." He beams and lets me in. I see Lee sitting on the floor putting tea leaves into small tins. He glances at me but then quickly looks back at the tin. "Can you help put this new shipment of tea into tins? I'm sure Lee wouldn't mind showing you how to do it." I notice Mushi shoot Lee a smirk, which he returns with a glare. I nod and walk over to the other side of the room to sit near Lee. He doesn't say anything, nor does he look at me, but I mirror his movements and quickly get the hang of it. "How am I going to work with this guy??" I think to myself, annoyed and a little offended, to say the least.

After a few hours, I go to the bathroom, as I'm turning the corner I overhear Mushi and Lee having a conversation and stop to listen, "What if she was sent here??" Lee says with a hushed concerned voice, "You're being ridiculous, no one sent her, she's a pretty girl who at least is interested in being your friend. Maybe if you weren't so worried all the time you would see that." Mushi starts to walk towards the hall that I'm in and I quickly rush to the bathroom before he sees me.

He thinks someone sent me?? For what? What is he so worried about? I casually walk back to my place and continue working. I keep my eyes on my work, but out of the corner of my eye, I can see him glance up at me a few times. After a few more minutes of work, I decide to say something.

"So how are you liking it here in Ba Sing Se? Is it different from where you came from?" I try to make conversation but he continues working silently for a few minutes, "It's fine, and yes, it is different." He finally speaks, I even notice him looking up at me while he talks. I try to talk to him as much as possible but I try not to be too invasive, he gives short answers to every question but at least he's actually talking to me and not just scowling.

As we talk I can tell he's opening up to me more, his short answers start to become a little more in-depth, maybe I can actually become friends with him...I'll just have to take my time. When it's closing time we help sweep and close up shop. I'm surprised when I look out and see that it's completely dark outside. I didn't think I was here that long, maybe I'm just used to being in a boring environment, usually, for me minutes feel like hours.

I wave goodbye to everyone as I start to head home, I want to make sure I get back before it's too late. Before I walk out, Mushi calls to me, "Lee should walk you home since it's dark, I'd hate for you to have to walk home all by yourself." He nudges Lee towards me. "Ooh...Thank you!" I try to be polite but I really don't want him to be forced to walk me home.

He says nothing as we start walking. Only a few street lamps have been lit, the only thing lighting our path is the full moon hanging over our heads. "..It's nice...I like it out here at night." He quietly says to me. I'm surprised he's starting the conversation for the first time.

"Yes, It is...I always enjoy this walk home. I love how quiet and calm it is." I notice him smile at me, he must have been thinking the same thing. I lead him down a dark alleyway to my apartment building, I can't see anything. I instinctively grab his hand and walk him up to my door.

When I realize that his hand is clasped in mine, I quickly pull my hand away, "I'm so sorry, I wasn't thinking it's just that-"" It's fine." He cuts me off. He doesn't sound angry, or even uncomfortable. But still, I feel embarrassed and want to get out of the situation as soon as possible, "Thanks for walking me home, I'll see you tomorrow." I slam the door without letting him answer.

How could I do something so stupid! He's not going to even talk to me now...Why did I even do that? My mind races as my face starts to heat up. Why did I slam the door on him?... And why do I feel so flustered? My heart races with embarrassment, I'll apologize to him first thing tomorrow...I rehearse my apology in the mirror, "I'm sorry for slamming the door on you, I felt embarrassed and didn't know what to do so I just went inside." I sigh, that should be fine, I get undressed and attempt to sleep.