an awful sickness

It's setting in. At that moment, in the water, his arms around my waist and our lips gently connected, it didn't set in. but now that I'm at home, my nightgown and my hair sopping wet, droplets of water escaping the drowned cotton dress, covering my dusty wood floor in a trail of water. I walk into the bathroom and stare at myself. I'm a red, sopping wet mess. My heart is throbbing out of my chest, making my stomach jump and my blood pump wildly, it's too much to handle. I lean over my bathroom sink and rest my forehead on the cold mirror as I watch a drop of water from my hair drip down the pane of glass, down to its porous wooden frame that slowly soaks up the water.

I feel sick. My body is hot, my stomach turns and aches with the thumping of my heart. It was so easy to talk to him. It was so easy to tell him how I truly feel. He made it so easy, he looked so lost and scared, my instincts kicked in and I let my mouth do all the work. I didn't feel the gravity at the time. But now that I'm home, alone, staring at myself. It's finally setting in.

Lee, the first man I have ever had feelings for, the first man to ever really show me kindness, just asked me to be his girlfriend. I stand there, hunched over my sink trying to control my breathing and slow my heart. I take long heavy breaths, which only make my stomach turn more. I lift my head and look at my beet-red face in my mirror, my eyes lidded and fighting to stay open. My vision starts to turn and blur, making me feel even sicker.

Without thinking I sit down on the cold, splintered wood floor in front of my sink. My efforts to have controlled breaths have now diminished, turning into heavy gasps, as if I were drowning in a violent current. My heavy, freezing cold, drenched dress makes me shiver, but I'm too weak to get up. I slowly lay my body down and stare at the ceiling. The candlelight flickers and sways, taking my concentration away from keeping my eyes open, making my body succumb to the urge to close my eyes and sleep.

                                            Zuko's POV

I head to the shop in the morning, dreading to see (y/n). It's not that I don't want to see her, in fact, I do want to see her. But every time I do, all I can see is a disappointed and betrayed expression, in response to what I have to tell her. I've been thinking about what uncle has said. Of course I've been thinking about what he said, what else can I do.

When I can push away the thoughts of her rejection, it's still nice to see her bright smile so early in the morning, how can she always be so happy? It's contagious, I can't help but smile. I walk into the shop and sigh, expecting to see her beaming smile.

Nothing. I look in the back, still nothing. I check to see if she's in the bathroom, nothing, again.

"Uncle, have you seen (y/n)?" I try not to sound upset.

"No, but I'm sure she's on her way. You kept her up late last night, let her take her time." Uncle looks at me and smiles, making my blood boil. How can he be smiling? She's never late! Not even on the days after we were out together.

"Something's not right...I'm going to her apartment." I quickly walk to the door.

"Lee, give her some privacy, I'm sure everything is fine-"

"No, it's not!!" I slam the door on the way out. If he cared as much as I do, he would do the same.

I get to her apartment and quickly walk in, my mind now racing with scenarios. "(y/n)? Are you here?" I see a path of water on the floor and follow it.

                                          (y/n)'s POV

My head pounds to the same beat as my heart as sweat drips down my face. My body aches as I try to move. I can't tell if I'm covered in sweat or river water at this point. I can feel boiling sweat pool on my forehead, making my headache so much worse. I open my eyes and look around. The room spins and I moan in pain, feeling like I'm going to vomit.

"(y/n)?" I hear a soft voice calling out to me.

"Uuugh," I call back, trying to make coherent words but failing miserably.

The ground trembles, I can feel someone walking towards me. I try my best to focus but all I can make out is a large figure looming over me. My confused emotions swirl around me as I begin to cry.

"(y/n)?! What's wrong? Are you hurt?" I feel a freezing cold hand press against my face, "You're burning up!" I suddenly feel myself get picked up, making me nauseous.

I open my eyes and see Lee looking at me with fear. He lays me down on my bed and grabs a dry dress. "Are you strong enough to change clothes?" He asks in an awkward tone. I try my best to take my dress off, But my muscles feel like jelly. I wince in pain and give up. "It's ok...I'll help." He looks away and pulls my dress off, relieved to see that I'm wearing an undershirt and shorts.

He slips my dress on and lays me back down, walking to the kitchen and coming back with a big glass of water and a wet rag. He puts the cold rag on my forehead, making me shiver. He lifts my head gently and tries to help me drink water. My mouth is dry and gritty like sand, I have no idea how long I was laying there. I immediately gulp down all the water and he lays me back down, covering me in blankets, which I protest to.

"It will help break the fever," He explains, covering me with as many blankets as he can, making a little cocoon for me.

The rag he put on my forehead is already boiling but he swiftly gets another one the moment he notices, along with a few other extra rags and a big bucket of ice water. Once he finally is at a place where he can be in one spot, he grabs a stool and sits next to my bed. I can see the sympathy in his eyes, it's jarring how expressive he suddenly is.

I start to feel better enough to keep my eyes open since the room has finally stopped spinning. I try to focus on his face instead of my pain. I watch as one of his icy hands reaches up and caresses my cheek.

"This reminds me of when I was sick when I was a child," He starts, "My mother would do this, wrap me up in blankets, put a cold towel on my face, and sit by me with her hand on my cheek." He sits for a minute and gently rubs his hand up and down my cheek, "This is my fault, isn't it." His tone turns to shame and he pulls his hand away, "I shouldn't have thrown you into the river with your clothes on...I'm so sorry." He hangs his head sadly and I shake my head. That's not it, there's something else. Using all my strength I reach my hand out to touch his.

He grasps my hand, "You're already starting to cool down," he walks to the kitchen. I can't see what's going on, but The clanging of my kitchenware makes my ears ring.

After a while, he comes back with a cup of jasmine tea, in my favorite milk glass gold-rimmed teacup. I smile and he helps me sit up. He blows on the cup, making the steam hit my face until he thinks it's cool enough for me.

"I know how much you like tea, hopefully, this helps." He gently pours the tea into my mouth.

"Thank you," My voice rasps.

"You shouldn't be talking right now," he says concerned as he lays me back down. "Please try to get some rest, I'll try my best to help you get better," He smiles at me as my eyes flutter closed.

                                 ~Time Skip~

"Uuugh," I moan as I look around the dark room, it's night time already...how long was I asleep?

I look to my left to look out the window when I suddenly see a hand around my waist. Lee? He's cuddled up next to me, fast asleep. He looks so peaceful when he's sleeping, not at all as stressed as he looked all day today...His hands are protectively wrapped around my waist, making me feel safe and secure. I snuggle closer to him, putting my hand on his soft cool cheek.

"Thank you, Lee," I mumble as I quickly succumb to my fatigue as my body fights against the sickness.