C H A P T E R | 04

Syn was doing the usual when she was alone, endlessly wandering the Castle grounds. She knew how much it irritated Lord Haruka to no end seeing as she was pretty much just free roaming with no purpose. It made her remember that Shirayuki had decided that she would aim to become an official Court Herbalist so that she would have a reason to be inside the Castle, unlike Syn who didn't care about what others thought. She had spent all her life doing it, ignoring all the judgemental stares and gossip about her appearance, which was something that she had to control over, so why should she start now? Although, it did make her think about what employment she should chose if she wanted to start making money again to support herself and Shirayuki. 

Syn was passionate about her blacksmith work and it would usually sell for quite a high price for such good quality. However, what Syn truly had a natural talent for was her swordsmanship. Maybe she was best fit to be a palace guard, dressed in the uniform standing idly all day... Maybe not. Syn wanted a job that would allow her to be busy and occupy her, something that would let her practise her physical skills and blow off steam. There were many jobs that checked those boxes, an assassin? No better not, she liked her peaceful life and being someone that could easily gain enemies was too much of a hassle for Syn. Perhaps a training instructor? No, Syn didn't have much patience and no doubt she would end up storming off in anger. 

Just as Syn was beginning to get frustrated, she spotted the second prince himself along with his faithful right hand man and Syn's newfound best friend Kiki. Syn approached them from the side to find they were looking at a notice on the wall. "Hey what are you looking at, anything important?"  

Kiki gave Syn a short smile and Mitsuhide gave an explanation, "This is the examination period for applicants to become apprentice court herbalists." Syn made a sound of understanding as Zen sighed and tried to act nonchalant but failed miserably, "I see, so it was today". 

Syn chuckled under her breath trying to keep it unnoticed although the side eye she got from Kiki told her that she heard and knew what she was thinking. The poor Prince, left without his maiden for the day. How would he ever survive the mounds of paperwork just waiting for him at his desk. 

Mitsuhide let out a scoff and put his hands on his hips while looking at Zen in amusement. "What do you mean 'I see'? Don't pretend you haven't been worried about this test for weeks." Zen was quick to drop his gaze to the side, as if he had seen something so interesting. However, the others knew exactly what Mitsuhide was insinuating. Zen instantly changed the subject, "So Syn, Shirayuki has a goal she wants to achieve. Any positions in the Castle that interest you?"

Syn sighed and scratched the back of her head. "I was actually hoping you guys could helps me with that. I definitely what to do something that involves physical work like sword practise, that way I could ease some anger and keep evolving my skills you know? But at the same time I want something were I won't be stuck in the same place everyday".  Mitsuhide and Kiki were silent, trying to find something that suited that description.

Zen held his shin in his hand, deep in thought. "Would you be alright doing odd jobs and such?" Syn was fast with her reply, "Oh sure! Any task I would be willing to do". She grinned at the white haired boy. Zen laughed a Syn's eagerness and crossed his arms across his chest. "Then I may have just the job for you".

Turns out the position Zen had in mind for Syn was to be his personal Delegate, basically she would travel to other countries or places be his representative and be there on his behalf, but that was just part of the job. The majority of her tasks would be doing odd jobs here and there for Zen or other people in the castle. Although it seemed almost as if Syn was a palace slave, she was happy with that as long as she was able to stay at the palace grounds and see Shirayuki often. Also, Zen has made it his mission to beat her at swordplay so Syn imagines that she'll be around the prince and his personal guards a lot. Not that she was bothered with that, she was glad she would be spending more time with Kiki and Mitsuhide, they were some of the only people she knew at the palace and actually liked.