Chapter V

The announcement of Boboiboy and Yaya's engagement spread from land to land that even some of the hidden suitors have finally retreated for their courtship to the Lady. Who wouldn't feel helpless when you have a competitor like Boboiboy? He comes from a very well-known and respectable political and noble family of the North. 

The couple both decided to have the simple and private ceremony at Yaya's mansion and only invited Boboiboy's parents, a few important close friends of them- Zola, Kokoci, Tarung, and Masmana with few bodyguards. Fang was there too.

Even though the engagement news has spread far and wide, Boboiboy decided that they should be privately engaged because his family has been a target for some people who are against them. He thought of Yaya and her household's safety as highest priority until both of them are going to marry and live together with him.

Boboiboy and Yaya, together with the other guests, participated in a quiet twelve hour long prayer which started as early as two o'clock in the morning. The Eastern engagement tradition was carefully followed by Yaya as they fasted during the twelve hours. After the solemn prayer was finished, according to the lady's tradition, Boboiboy and Yaya sat face to face with each other as Boboiboy's father covered their heads with a veil which had been knitted by Yaya for two months symbolizing for the couples promise of waiting before the official wedding. Next, Ying tied their hands with a long red rope which represents the time they had been with each other, today and until the wedding. In the East, after the engagement, this long red rope must be cut equally and must be worn as a bracelet. This should be cut after the wedding or if one or both of them decide to decline their own marriage, after another twelve long hours of prayer.

The light rain fell while the sun was still shining at the Yah's residence making their well-kept garden shimmering just like jewels. Fang had challenged Ying for a chess battle since the simple engagement party has ended several hours ago.

Two pairs of bespectacled eyes were focused on the black and white game board until Ying's attention caught the glittering scene on the big glassy window that overlooked Fang. She blinked nonchalantly at how the background made him shine literally.

Her long pause seemed to distract his attention from the wooden board. "Miss Ying? Is there any problem?"

"You're glowing."

He gave her a questioning look but was distracted by the shimmering lights reflected right on her blue orbs. He chuckled, "Well, I think your eyes too." He finally glanced on the sunshine behind him and saw how the rain droplets made the garden glow more radiantly. Ying went on the window and pointed outside, "It looks like the sky is giving its blessing to Lady Yaya and Sir Boboiboy's engagement! Uwaah!"

Fang went beside her, the two completely forgotten about their chess game. "I've never seen such a breathtaking view from a sun shower before. The rain is chilly but the sun is making it warm at the same time."

She agreed with a big grin, "You think so? I also thought so too!" She chuckled, "I want to dance under this kind of sun shower, how about you, Sir Fang?"

"For a child like you, I'm not surprised." He gave her a teasing look but he turned to the other side, "I have to decline. I... Really don't like to go outside."

Ying saw him having a sad look and thought that he was saying the truth. The tall ravenette beside her doesn't like to go outside that much and if he do, she would notice him having small coughs and headaches. Yaya said that he is a sheltered man ever since he was born and has a frail body when he was a kid.

The sound of the rain and the warmth of rhe sun are calling her to go outside but she remained beside the low-spirited ravenette. However, Fang patted her head with a small smile, "How about you go? I'll stay and watch you from here." He pretended to stretch his body and lied, "Man, it sure is tough on becoming an old man even though I am not."

"You may be older than me but you don't look like an old man. I shall respect your choice and  be on my way then." Fang was surprised when she opened the window in front of them, small rain droplets started coming in and damping their faces.

"Don't tell me you'll jump from here?" He seemed to panic at the fact that they are on the second floor.

She gave him a cheeky grin and placed one of her fingers on her lips, "Actually, I promised Yaya that I won't do some unladylike things today but I think I'll be breaking a few. Hey Sir Fang, will it please you to watch me dance under the rain? If I can make you feel happy just by looking at me, will you dance with me under the sun shower next time?"

Without waiting for his reply, Fang was astounded as this lady, finally wearing a dress just for today, leaped casually from the wide open window to the wet ground. His crimson eyes followed her figure and admired how fast she can run even when her yellow dress and her boots were soaked from the muddy puddles. She absentmindedly opened her arms as if welcoming the rain and the sun to her and her small figure finally turned to him as she playfully waved at him.

His crimson eyes seemed to glow in delight seeing the young girl dancing freely and absentmindedly under the sun shower.

Fang leaned on his arms on the windowpane, his eyes charmed and relaxed at the sight before him. Ying's yellow dress, which is now soaking wet and soiled, complimented the sunshine, the rain droplets, the bluish sky and the garden. He thought that he was only seeing too much sunshine and even though he's staying inside, it made him feel warmer and alive.

Ah, perhaps I admire her because she reminds me of innocence and freedom.

He remembered a fraction of sad memories from his childhood being confined inside a big and dim mansion. Even though he used to be bedridden, whenever his big brother and parents were there, it felt great until that accident happened. The usual business trip of his parents resulted into an awful tragedy eleven years ago. Although they still haven't found their parent's dead bodies, they were hoping that they are somewhere, alive. However, his big brother already gave up and took over the business at his young age, the young Fang decided to help his brother even in his weak state. When he adapted from his ill nature, he started helping at home. His brother used to handle most of the business trips and just three years ago, Fang started to help more. His ill nature is not as worse as before but he just really wanted to be indoors during the day.

-------------------------------------------
The Eastern engagement ceremony is a fiction and was made by the author. Any resemblance in other culture or tradition is entirely coincidental.