Peter

Peter needs a distraction.

Any time he looks past the sea is when he pictures the dead bodies underneath it, haunting him even as he closes his eyes and tries to think of anything else. He wants to block the image, but it seems impossible when there's quite literally nothing else to do while stranded in the middle of the ocean.

He takes a quick glance at Tony, who appears unbothered by the situation as he attempts to catch fish with his bare hands. The task seems ridiculous with nothing to use as bait, but the man is persistent even when Peter hears him curse from under his breath.

It must have been a few hours since the plane had crashed, though it's difficult to tell with the sun scorching in their eyes. Peter doesn't mind this however, because it at least keeps his body warm as they wait for help to arrive.

That is, if help arrives.

Peter is suddenly desperate for a distraction when he directs his attention to Tony, "I think I might be getting a sunburn."

Tony turns away from the ocean for merely a second, offering a glare at his weak attempt at to make conversation. He opens his mouth only to close it, shaking his head in disapproval and sticking his hand back into the water as if Peter hadn't said anything at all.

He tries not to be offended by the obvious neglect, and any other scenario he would take the hint to keep his mouth shut. That is until Peter looks back at the ocean only to see dead corpses in his head, and suddenly his pride doesn't seem as important anymore.

"Hey Mister Stark, have you ever seen the movie Titanic?"

Tony snaps his head forward then, and the way his eyes bulge out of his face would have been comical if Peter weren't so afraid in the moment. Nevertheless, he feigns innocence as he offers a small smile in return.

"I'm going to pretend you didn't just ask that."

"With Leonardo DiCaprio-"

Tony interrupts as he lets out a groan, "Of course I've seen Titanic, how about instead of twiddling your thumbs and talking about the weather you actually help catch a fish or two, that is unless you rather starve."

Peter is at a lost for words from Tony's outburst, and the silence that follows is heavy as neither break eye contact with one another. The hurt must be clearly written on his face however, because there's a flash of regret that reveals itself in Tony's eyes as he's the first to look away.

"I'm sorry, that was harsh."

"No, you're right- I can help," Peter refuses to look back as he moves to Tony's side, silently dunking his hand into the water and waiting for the right opportunity to grab a fish. In doing so he feels Tony's staring into his soul, and he hopes the blush on his face looks like it's forming from the heat rather than his embarrassment.

Tony tries again, "I didn't mean to hurt your feelings, I'm just stressed and took it out on you... I'm sorry kid."

Peter doesn't acknowledge the apology, but instead takes note of the waves that brush against his fingers. His hand had been in the water for less than a minute, but he can already feel his fingertips begin to prune up. It makes him wonder how the other men look after being down there for so many hours, and he fights the urge to puke what little food he has left in his stomach.

"Peter?"

He finally looks then, glancing at Tony only to see pure concern in his eyes as he peers down at him. From the way his eyebrows furrow makes Peter assume that he had been calling his name for a while now, though he hadn't heard it over the sound of his heart pounding in his chest.