𝒢𝓇𝒶𝒸𝑒 𝐵𝓊𝓇𝑔𝑒𝓈𝓈- 𝓌𝒶𝓈 𝒶𝓃𝓎 𝑜𝒻 𝒾𝓉 𝓇𝑒𝒶𝓁?

****

The news seemed to hit you the hardest. Grace was the mole, she was working for Campbell. You fought to keep the tears from falling down your face. Tommy had the same stoic face as always, but you knew it upset him too. Grace and him had become friends, while Grace and you became something more.

When she first started working at the garrison, you were drawn to her angelic voice and her beauty. You'd spend all your time that you weren't working for Tommy at the garrison, talking with Grace in between customers and walking her home at the end of the day.

After a few weeks you got up the courage to kiss her, and to your surprise she kissed back. Now you know that was part of her plan, to get you and the gang to trust her. All those nights you spent in each other's arms meant nothing.

She was the first woman you loved. You loved everything about her including her intelligence, her beauty, and her kindness. The way she carried herself was unlike any woman in Birmingham and it drew you to her. Her touch always left you wanting more and you hung on to her every word. You never noticed how many times she steered the conversation to Tommy or the Peaky Blinders. You just thought she was interested in your work. Now it was impossible to ignore.

After you found out you went home to find the door unlocked. You pulled your pistol from your purse and entered your home. You walked into your living room with your gun held high. You didn't expect to see her sitting there, waiting for you.

"What are you doing here?" You ask her coldly as you lower your gun and place it on the coffee table.

"I'm leaving Birmingham. I wanted to say goodbye."

"Good for you. Tommy would kill you if you stay," you paused before saying," and I wouldn't stop him."

Those words seem to break the little bit of composer she had mustered. Tears started to fall down her face," I love you, (y/n)."

"Was any of it real?" Tears started to stream down both of your faces," do you really love me, or was that just part of your act?"

"Our love is real. Everything I felt for you was real. Please believe me," she tried to grab your arm but you recoiled from her touch," I'm sorry, (y/n). I did what I thought was right. But the more I got to know you, the more wrong what I was doing felt."

You couldn't believe her, not anymore. She had used you. She had taken any information you let slip, and give it to Campbell. She had told him everything you told her in confidence. She had betrayed you.

"You knew that I had been used before and you still took advantage of me. I love you and you broke me."

"I never wanted to hurt you."

"Bullshit. If you never wanted to hurt me you wouldn't have gotten close to me. Get out of my house, Grace."

Her chest heaved as she cried," please. I came here to ask you to leave with me. I love you."

Her words only served to anger you," Get out! Just get out."

She appeared frightened by your outburst and opened her mouth to speak but closed it. She ran past you and you heard the door open and close a moment later. You collapsed on your couch and sobbed until you fell asleep.

****

You awoke when the sun streamed in through your curtains. You slowly opened your eyes and looked to the coffee table that still had your gun on it. But there was something you didn't notice yesterday, the envelope.

You picked it up and immediately recognized your name in her handwriting. You must have been so emotional you didn't notice she left it for you. You opened it and begin to read.

My beloved (y/n),

I know you've probably heard the news by now and I want to clear up any misconceptions. I was working for Campbell but I am no longer. Despite why I came to know you and the Peaky blinders I really care about you. I fell In love for you for your unmatched beauty and for who you are. If you still want to be with me I will be staying in a small cottage in the country just outside of Birmingham, but I understand if you never want to see me again.

Yours forever, Grace

You put the letter down as your eyes started to water. Your heart felt heavy in your chest. Because as much as you hated Grace, a part of you still loved her. A part of you longed for her touch and to be in her arms once more. A part of you wanted to go back to before you found out she was the mole, to kiss her once more.

For now you would keep your distance, you needed time. Your sure Grace needed time to mourn your fractured relationship.

But maybe one day you'd visit her and she would wrap you in her arms and it would feel as if everything was how it was just a few weeks ago, but without all the lies. Her lips would meet yours again, slowly as if scared to touch your, but once they did, that kiss would say more than words ever could. That despite all the lies, your heart still belonged to Grace Burgess.