Chapter Three

Sadie takes her time walking around the grocery store to pick up things she will need for the week. As she walks through the produce section he runs into her former friend Brittany. Thinking if this day can get any better, surely it would be where Brittany would ignore her.

"Oh my god! Sadie, how are you?" Brittany says in the most high pitched fake voice. Sadie looks around to see if any glass has cracked.

"Brittany, how are you?" Sadie asks.

"I am great! I just met with a new client who is looking for a multimillion-dollar home! Girl! That commission is going to be so great! Looking to update the ratty pool we had installed last year. Can never have too much am I right!" Brittany selfishly says.

"Yeah, you said it. That is great news, congratulations!" Sadie says sarcastically. She can't help but wonder if Brittany picks up on how much she doesn't want to talk to her.

"You really should've gotten into real estate with me! I mean you could be making so much more money and provided a better life for Gunnar. I know it's not easy with Will being gone." She says, rubbing salt in a wound.

"No, it's not but I am happy where I am and we make due. Gunnar is an amazing kid. I can't complain, he being a part of the National Honor Society and is working to be Valedictorian next year. Two schools have been calling for him for football and baseball. " Sadie says proudly.

"Oh, that's nice. Well, Ben and I are excited to hang out with you tonight at the game. I know he normally stands by the gate but I am making him sit with us! We just love being close. You know." Brittany says. It hurts Sadie when Brittany talks about her and Ben. Brittany always knew of Sadie's feelings but unfortunately, that doesn't mean anything when Ben never had an interest. She shouldn't let Brittany get to her like this because it hurts, and what is worse is Brittany knows she is doing it.

"Yes, I am well aware. That is nice that you still have that. Well, I need to go, today is my only day off. It will be a long couple of days coming up." Sadie quickly says needing to get out of this horrible conversation. "It was great to see you, you look amazing as always."

"Awe honey, I know. Bye!" Brittany says and saunters away. Swinging her hips as she goes.

She has Ben. It has been years and Sadie can't understand why she keeps rubbing in her face that she was the one who ended up with him. She was so naïve in high school. She actually thought Brittany was her friend and that Ben had feelings for her. She was felt like she was wrong on so many things.

As she finishes up her shopping and heads home to an empty house, she can't help but hear the silence. Even after almost 4 years of Will being gone, this is something she can't get used to. She takes the time to put some music on and cook her meals for the next few days for work and updating the family calendar. Gunnar is out at more things and events which leave Sadie at home more by herself. As she is cleaning up she gets a text from Ben.

"Hey, it's Ben. Gunnar wants to meet a girl for dinner after school. He knows its tradition for you both to go out, but he really likes this girl and wants to impress her. Let me take you to dinner to make up for my temper tantrum yesterday."

"Gunnar likes a girl? Wow, I had no idea. Of course, he can go, I'll run by the school to drop some money off. If she is special he better take her somewhere good!" Sadie thinks for a minute before she responds to his comment about dinner. "As for dinner with you and Brittany, no need to make it up to me. I forgive you."

Sadie has spent years kindly avoiding Brittany. She has a cancer personality where it will attack anything good you may have in yourself.

"Sadie, just for the record, Brittany would NOT be there. I just didn't want you to be alone on the dinner game night. Let me at least bring you dinner. I already gave Gunnar some money for tonight, no need to drop by the school"