Chapter 1: 2020, Hell of a Year ( literally )

2020. I personally wouldn't call this a year, more of a chaotic span of time. A pandemic, Killer bees, Riots, Lockdowns.

When I said I wanted this year to be different from the rest I certainly did not mean this. Months inside this house not doing anything whatsoever. Netflix, no- everything has gotten so immensely boring. I cant even get out of my own house. Could you believe that? Its as if Im under house arrest, which honestly is not entirely wrong. I am on house arrest- Along with the rest of the world well that is other than New Zealand. Oh how much I envy that country. If only people here would just listen, this crisis would have ended by now, Im sure.

So people might ask what does one do during a lockdown? A whole year inside their house cant be wasted by just sleeping around could it?

~

16.32. p.m.

Sometime in September, 2020

I stood up from the couch and went to the kitchen to check the fridge for the tenth time today thinking that more snacks would suddenly appear. I groaned. Obviously I know food wouldnt suddenly appear out of thin air. But still, you never know.

The vibration coming from my phone took my attention. I glanced at my phone and saw a notification from my friend group. I was went through the chats as I walked my way back to the couch. I do miss them deeply. We face time and call each other almost everyday but its just not the same as meeting each other and joking around at the park or the mall.

Jessie
| Im so bored. Anyone up for the Mall?

Maya
| PLS

Layla
| like rn? what the hell u thinking

Jessie
| tbh I think I forgot how 2 use my brain during quarantine

You
| mood

Nessie
| I rly wanna go but like yk, my mom would prob kill me when I get back

Maya
| haha lol. Same but yolo. Hbu lea??

I clicked on the text bar and started typing something but instantly deleted it. I want to go but I don't want to die from a disease. They haven't even found the cure for it yet. I watched the news yesterday and they said if you die from this you are not to be buried with your friends or family around to mourn for you. Dying is a milestone in life and I'm in no way going to waste it.

You
| Nah, not in the mood 2 die rn

Layla
| smart choice. Jes and maya shouldn't be going either

Jessie
| y not?

You
| do you rly wanna die from a disease you could avoid???

Maya
| I mean Gen Z is pretty suicidal so...

Layla
| no.

Nessie
| just stay at home dude. They prob gonna let us out by next week.

Jessie
| jeeeez okay moms

I rested on the couch and started scrolling through Instagram. Both my parents came in to the living room and looked at me with a very intense looking smile. When I saw both their expressions I rushed to sit nicely because I felt they have something important to say.

The both of them sat down on the one person couches and looked at each other with a smile. The only thing I could do was raise an eyebrow implying how confused I am. What else am I supposed to do. The two just came in all jolly and golly. It's terrifying honestly.

Did I do something wrong? Couldnt possibly be that. They would shake their heads in shame by now. Not smile. Thats obvious.

"We need to tell you something," my dad started. Dad is an engineer, no, Not those engineers who works at gas stations or those car repair shops. He's the one who works at NASA type engineering. He has an aerospace engineering master's degree from MIT. My parents met at their NASA internships. I know, geeky. Cute, but geeky.