Chapter 19

YAY FOR ANOTHER CHAPTER! I hadn't originally planned to write this chappie today, but I was feeling inspired so here you go

YAY FOR ANOTHER CHAPTER! I hadn't originally planned to write this chappie today, but I was feeling inspired so here you go ... A special treat before I go back to work for the week and won't be able to write for a bit. I really enjoyed writing this chapter! Let me know what you guys think. I love reading your inline comments on a part you like!

Mila sat across from Josef, watching as he poured over a stack of files on his desk. They had been held up in his office all evening, Josef having mountains of paperwork he needed to catch up on before the week was over. Since it would be the only chance she would have to see him over the weekend, she had accepted his invitation to stay late with him while he worked. Taking a sip from her glass of whiskey, she watched him as he scanned each piece of paper, scribbling notes in the margins here and there.

"Are you going to the banquet next Friday?" She asked after they had sat in silence for a while. She had been meaning to ask him about the banquet ever since Lieutenant Hoffmann had asked her, the week had proven too busy though for her to have another moment alone with him.

"How do you know about that?" He looked up at her, giving her a questioning look.

"I was asked to go," She replied casually.

"Oh really?" He asked, "Well that's a shame seeing as though I had planned to ask you myself," He shrugged, a small smirk turning up the corners of his lips.

"Well that's a relief seeing as though I told him I was already going with someone else," She shot back, a smirk of her own forming on her face.

"So you just assumed I was going to ask you?" He asked, cocking an eyebrow at her.

"Well at this point, it would certainly be inconvenient if I had to find someone else to take me," She shrugged, keeping the mock aloofness in her voice, her smirk widening.

"Did Lieutenant Hoffmann ask you?" He asked simply, though the amusement was evident on his face.

"How'd you know?" She asked, giving him the questioning look this time.

"Just a guess," Josef smirked. "He seems to fancy you quite a bit."

"I hadn't noticed," Mila replied sarcastically.

Josef chuckled, flipping the page of his notes, taking a drag from his cigarette.

"That's a horrible habit you know," She commented.

"Have you ever tried one?" He asked cocking an eyebrow.

She shook her head, eyeing the bright orange embers that lit up as Josef inhaled another puff of smoke, blowing it lazily out the side of his mouth.

"Here," He said, knocking off the ash that had began to accumulate on the end of the cigarette before offering it to her.

"I... Don't know," She said, glancing between him and the cigarette apprehensively. "I don't think I'd be much good at it."