Chapter 3: Of Amulets and Memories

    Addy and Lillian fell into a comfortable sort of routine over the next few days, as they stayed at the inn above The Thirsty Ox. They took to sharing as much information as possible about the job they were hired for - the job that they were apparently working together. Addy liked her line of work well enough, she supposed, so long as she ignored that hole in her chest that beat for home, for Alura.

    Perhaps it would be better now, since having a partner, particularly one skilled in medicine, would cut down on the risks of dying a tragic and forgettable death rather exponentially. And Lillian seemed to know a lot more about their mission then Addy did. They had been contracted by the Lord of a small Coastal City to retrieve the Amulet of Orion, a heirloom of House Lochan that had fallen into enemy hands. From what Lillian had heard, it was said to hold great power.

    "I wonder why Lord Lukas didn't bother telling me," Addy said, her tone more curious than accusatory. "Did he know that I was going to run into you in a small farming town, of all places?"

    Lillian put down her mug. It was the early hours of morning - their last day in Casta. The tavern was dead silent, save the soft clink of the bartender organizing glasses. The drunk, dancing old man had left an hour or so ago. The stains on the scuffed wooden tables scattered around the stage were barely visible in the faint light, and the whole place had a rather charming aura.

    The two girls each had finished their breakfast rather quickly in preparation for their travels. It was a meagre thing, a small portion of stew and a thin slice of bread each, but it was half price, on account of them saving the town a few days before. Besides, they needed their energy for the journey that laid ahead, and food was food. Addy had learned not to be picky.

    "Perhaps he did," Lillian said. "I've heard that the Amulet of Orion gives the wearer the ability to see the future." She paused for a moment, considering. "Of course, most of what I hear from Perrnath these days is more fiction than fact."

    "I think the people are just scared. Mordan threatens their borders, and they're looking for any form of consultation. A magical amulet could be the turning point the war needs."

    Lillian shrugged, seemingly unbothered.  "Who knows. That would explain why he wants it back so desperately, though. Enough to pay such a hefty price."

    Addy couldn't help but grin at the reminder. A hundred gold pieces each. It was more than she'd even seen in the last five years. Ever since... the incident, she had tried to live as frugally as possible, and she certainly wouldn't be keeping most of the money for herself. It would go to the various charities she knew, to the children who truly needed it in a way she had never even considered when she was a spoiled little girl.

    She knew that she had to stay as far away from positions of privilege as possible. But still, the prospect of staying at a nice inn and buying new clothes was enticing. She was only human, after all.

    After finishing the last of her drink, Addy stood up and grabbed her bag. "Meet back here in two hours?" She asked Lillian.

    "See you later," the priestess replied.

    Addy returned to her room, gathering up her possessions. She had a change of clothes, her armour, two daggers, a few day's rations, a handful of silver and bronze coins, and her longsword, which was of good craftsmanship and was a gift from Gavril when she finished her training. Buried at the bottom of the bag were the treasures from her previous life, the things she just couldn't bear to leave behind.

    She reached and ruffled through the contents: the letters, a pair of moonstone earrings, the vials of hair dye, the clothes she had been wearing the night she fled - that cursed dress of blue silk - until she found what she was looking for. It was a small ring made of gold and diamond, worth more than everything else she owned combined. It was an image of a butterfly mid flight, surrounded by falling leaves.