Chapter 4: Of Bandits and Travels

The last few days of their journey had been filled with the chirping of birds and the rustling of leaves as Addy and Lillian travelled on the dirt-packed countryside roads. Any sort of settlement was few and far between, and their hours were filled with idle small-talk or quiet contemplation.

On the eve of the third night, the two girls were sitting on the soft undergrowth, packs out and a campfire between them. Every part of Addy's body ached from the travels, and her poor horse wasn't faring much better.

The silver-haired mare - Apple - had drunk a full bucket of water in a single gulp. Though the heavy covering of trees had provided them with some much needed shade, the journey had been hard, filled with hills and winding paths.

Addy stroked the fur of Apple's mane, gently. "Don't worry, we only have one more day until you're resting in a stable."

Lillian looked just as weary-eyed as Addy felt, with her head resting on her elbows, and her eyes drooping. "Do you often have conversations with your horse, or is that just a byproduct of being a loner?"

"I'll have you know that my conversations with Apple are highly intellectual and nearly all political in nature," said Addy, mock indignantly.

Lillian grinned. "Oh, I didn't know that treasure hunters had such good educations."

Addy couldn't help but wince at the reminder. She could almost hear the nasally voice of her old tutor, Drusilla, as she slipped back into the speech of her childhood.

Lillian, having been raised in a temple, would have learned much of the world and would likely be able to recognize people's backgrounds from their patterns of speech.

Addy fought to keep her voice even. "It was all Apple's doing, my education, let me tell you," she said, trying for humour.

Lillian snorted. "What a remarkable horse! If Cynthia had inspired me to learn to mimic different dilatics, I could have made pounds of gold through petty scams." She gestured at her horse. "It is a shame sometimes, to have a conscience."

Addy couldn't imagine that this priestess with a heart of gold, who put herself at risk without a second thought to save innocents, could have ever done something for selfish gain. "Is it really?"

Lillian looked off into the distance as the owls hooted. "I suppose not."

The two slipped into a comfortable silence, one of people united in a desire to help others. The noises of the forests - the hooting of owls and crackingly of the fire - served as a symphony that kept the silence from enveloping them like a fog.

That peace was shattered at the sound of heavy footsteps and rattling metal that was rapidly approaching them, the clattering of horse shoes on the dirt packed road.

Lillian rose to her feet in an instant, slinging her pack over her shoulder and drawing her bow. "Something's coming," she said.

Addy got up a second later, pouring the last of her water over the fire, grabbing her meagre supplies, and drawing her sword. The few embers of their campfire flickered out, and a chill seemed to sweep through her bones. Apple gave a soft neigh, almost in protest.

The two girls stood in silence as a few harsh, gravelly voices grew steadily nearer. From what Addy could tell, there were two of them. She exchanged a look with Lillian, one that almost seemed to say: let's stay quiet for now. No sense spilling blood unnecessarily.

"I could have sworn I saw a campfire somewhere here."

"Well, gods know that you see a lot of things, Diana!" The lower of the two voices sounded deeply agitated.