Chapter 18: The Amulet of Orion

Addy Freeland

The hour had arrived. Clothed in the red and black uniform of Mordan's Watch - which she wasn't even sure how the lily had managed to acquire - she and her companions hurried down the sparsely populated streets, trying their best to look as if they belonged.

They passed a few other guards on their walk, and Addy had simply nodded to them, her posture rigid and unquestioning, mimicking the way her mother had always held herself: cold and uncaring. Lillian had followed Addy's lead, clearly uncomfortable to be out of her priestess's robe, but pushing it aside for the good of the mission. Nothing much seemed to faze Lillian Garland.

"Will you all wait up?" Madison hissed, nearly running to match their quick pace. The lily hadn't had any guard uniforms that fit the slim fifteen year old - and knew better to ask where she got any at all - so the girl was drowning in thick fabric that she had to roll up twice, and a helmet that kept bouncing around.

"We need to hurry," Hayden responded, in the same quiet tone. "The guard shift at the palace is happening in only a few minutes."

Talking too much would instantly give them away. The guards of Mordan's Watch never seemed to speak unless it was in cruel taunts towards the unfortunate.

Really, Addy wondered what their hiring process was. Did they just take the vilest, least qualified people and send them to torment the masses? What would the interview look like?

It was the quiet peal of laughter coming from Hayden that made her realize she had spoken out loud.

"The things you say," he shook his head. "You're completely ridiculous."

She felt her cheeks heat up, but before she could think of a response, they were at the palace. Addy breathed deeply, as her companions stopped dead at the sight of the imposing structure.

It managed to be an elaborate show of wealth and terrifying at the same time, with massive gates patrolled by a large group of sentries, huge fountains, and perfectly polished walls reaching up to the clouds. Ruby and obsidian statues of Mordan 'heroes' were scattered across the rolling lawn. It was clear that their extravagance knew no bounds, just like their indifference to the general population.

"Stop scowling so hard, you'll give us away," Lillian hit Addy on the shoulder, leaving a throbbing pain on her arm.

"What was that for?"

"You were looking at that statue like it was the reason for all of your life suffering. We have a job to do, let's go!"

Lillian grabbed Addy by the arm and pulled her towards the palace gates. If the guards on watch noticed anything strange by this display, they certainly didn't comment on it, but she couldn't help but tense as she went by, the weight of her sword familiar on her hip.

Miraculously, it seemed like the guard uniforms meant a free pass into one of the most heavily guarded castles in the whole continent. Delos, the security here was lax. Though Addy knew it was unlikely that someone had ever tried to break into the home of the leader of Mordan's Watch by crossing into the most dangerous country in the world.

Addy gulped, reminding herself that they needed the amulet. It could be the difference between life and death.

~~

She crouched in a stairwell beside Lillian, her hair in a braid now that the dreadfully uncomfortable helmet had come off, and her sword in her hand. Madison and Hayden were on other sides of the corridor, acting as lookouts.